Troubleshooting corals

Danno

Non-member
Hey all,
My tank is about 4 months old and I've added some corals that seem to be thriving, but my last addition, a torch coral, seems to be struggling.
After I added it, within 24 hours one of it's head turned into a fleshy mess and was lost. It's been about 3 weeks now and while it hasn't suffered anymore damage, it barely opens up.
I've tried moving it to a different location, different water flow, higher in the tank, and directly into the sand bottom without much luck. I do weekly water changes and I use 14K MH lights. Are there any other options I can try, or just give it time?

Thanks!

Dan

My alk was just right, but my calc was low. I used an additive for the first time so I'll check it again next week.
On an unrelated question, ever since I've had my tank...up and running for about 4 months now, I've never experienced any algae blooms. I'm finally getting some on the back of the tank that looks a little hairy, but it's brownish, so I assume that it's not hair algae?
Also, I have rock that I got from Marcos that is starting to turn brownish. Is this normal? I don't have any coralline algae yet, but I did buy some Purple Up.
Can I use this at this point or should I wait a while longer?

Thanks for all the tips!

you feeding too much? using RO Di water? or tap?

guess I would lay off the chemicals.....for the tank

Sounds like you need to dose more a little more regularly for calcium and alkalinity. You could try to give it a small puff of mysis, maybe get it to feed.
The brown stuff(glass and rock) sounds like diatoms, and to me, you tank is just coming along with the long term cycle. Just keep your level up and it should be fine, maybe seed it with some live rock from an established tank.

The brown stuff(glass and rock) sounds like diatoms, and to me, you tank is just coming along with the long term cycle. Just keep your level up and it should be fine, maybe seed it with some live rock from an established tank.

thats what i was thinking

Back