Trying to fing out what this growth on rock is

BigCrowd42

Non-member
I noticed a few patches of dark maroon velvet looking stuff growing on my live rock has anyone seen this? It will peel off if i pick at it.

I got it bad in my FO tank! Maroon, green and brown I just kept sucking it out the best I could and it eventually went away

cyano will be slipery to the touch and after some time might get bubbles that will pull it up and look really ugly. I think nitrates, phosphates, low flow, and old lights are the usual suspects. Usually fixing one or two of thost things does the trick.

If its a new tank though, it is sometimes part of the normal break in period or initial algae cycle. I got it bad in my tank when I first started it up too.

To get rid of it, I sucked out as much as I could using a turkey baster and a siphon hose. And did water changes. I also cut back on food until it went away.

Kim

I cant see if theres a pic here but I have a dark maroon patches popping up on some of my rock it has the same look as the pink/purple coraline alge, that is growing in other parts of my tank. Unless its slimey I would not cross coraline alge off the list someone a while ago had blue coraline and some of the tonga has orange coraline on it .

Sue

Back