trying to start out a 55 gallon tank the right way

JMRegan

Jason and Michelle
Hi everyone my name is Jason and my fiancé is Michelle. We are about 3 months into the salt water fish hobby and as many started completely wrong. We had a 29 gallon tank set up that basically imploded chemically and we lost most of what we had. We are going to use this tank as a quarantine tank in the future, especially since we are fighting an ick battle now.

We are grabbing the stand for the 55 gallon tank now. I will be placing my current equipment in my signature soon but here is what we have bought to set up the 55 gallon tank.

Equipment

2 Marine Land Emperor 280, with a bio wheel
Remora Maxi jet 1200 protean filter, 295 GPH, with surface skimmer
48" 4ft T5 HO Marine Reef Aquarium Light 216W LED Legs

Other
Live Sand
21Lbs Live Rock(plan to expand to 55lbs at least when you tell me i should;))

We are putting in the live rock and sand today. I have tried to read many things online to tell me exactly how long to wait before i put in inverts and starter fish. I was looking to see if someone could give me there professional, opinion on the steps and how long to wait. This tank hopefully at some point will host coral and anemone . The reef cleaner package i was going to order and put in this week is found here http://www.reefscavengers.com/. All of your help is appreciated and thank you

:w aboard. Jut remember to take it slow. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby. I personally dont think you need the 2 filters. The protein skimmer should be enough. If you decide to go with the filters too, make sure to ditch the bio-wheels. They will become nitrate factories. As far as time line, it all really varies. I'd say a good amount would be 6 weeks. It's gonna need to cycle. When ammonia, nitrates and trites are reading zero your good to go. Good luck and happy reefing!

:w aboard Jason and Michelle! As others have said earlier, take it slow and you'll be glad you did down the road.

If possible, have the tank drilled to make it RR. That way you can connect a sump to your tank. Even an overflow box, like a CPR box, would work if you can't/don't want it drilled. I don't have experience with the Remora skimmer but the better ones are in sump or external IMO.

As Rick C said, ditch the biowheels if you decide to use the Emperor. If you're looking to add more rock or sand, check out Marco Rocks. He's got great stuff and a sponsor too boot :)

Others should chime in, but I dont think I would go with the cleaner crew yet.............

FYI, I am on the side of a deep sand bed

Frank

:w
Jason and Michelle.
Glad you found our freindly neighborhood reefer club.
RC is great and lots of knowledge there.But the home crowd can be just around the corner if something disasterous happens.
Look into getting a good book.I always suggest Bob Fenner's The Conscientious Marine Aquarist.Some of the info is dated,but it has a wide variety of info on both fish and corals.And it will also explain the cycle in detail.Good luck with your set up and don't forget to mention what part of the state you live in.

I would probably not try to drill the tank if you are buying it new. As far as I know, no companies out there make 55's without tempered glass. You don't need the filter, just run the skimmer and a HOB refugium. If you don't want to waste as much water as RO/DI does just use a 3 stage filter. Good luck!

you can add a sump with a HOB over flow. Ive been using one for a year now and have never had problems with it.

Welcome aboard. I started out with a 55 as well and ditched my biowheel shortly after getting my aqua c. As others have said they are nitrate factories but cam be used if you keep an eye on it. Where are you located? We are spread out across new england so there's always a local nearby to help out.
I've upgraded a few times since starting this insane hobby but most of us have "been there and done that" so feel free to post any questions you have
Take it slow, do your research and you'll be fine

Back