Trying to start a breeding area for pods, Will it work?

Im trying to get a population of copepods going for my mandarin that i plan on getting a couple of months from now. I put about 5 lbs. of rubble rock in my sump to basically try to start a breeding ground for pods. Will that work? I don't have any macro plants or sand in the sump just rubble rock and bare bottom.

For some reason i've tried twice to grow cheato and i can't. Some people tell me high flow some people tell me low.

IMO I think it has more to do with the lighting and the available nutrients. I've grown it successfully in both high and low flow.

Oh cool!!!!! Now that my 90 has lights, this is my next project. This is a perfect use for the 10 gallon we've had on the floor in the garage since my goldfish died years ago :rolleyes:

POD condo's are a great idea. I suspect it will work fine.
Again thou I am of the opinion that you need the majority of your pods away from your main tank, and allow the population to build up accordingly. While the pod condo will certainly protect your pods from most predation, in your main tank there are just too many unknowns.

POD condo's are a great idea. I suspect it will work fine.
Again thou I am of the opinion that you need the majority of your pods away from your main tank, and allow the population to build up accordingly. While the pod condo will certainly protect your pods from most predation, in your main tank there are just too many unknowns.

No no i meant in the article that you linked to it was a pod farm using phytoplankton and pod cultures. I was wondering if you could add the pod condo to that since the live rock would keep the water cleaner and possibly reduce the need to change the water. or would it kill off the phytoplankton?

ooops sorry- I get it. Yes you could use the pod condos in the pod growout tank for more surface area. My concern w/ the condo idea is that providing surface areas is only one of the keys to sucess w/ pods. you have to provide food as well, and in a general aquarium setting -there are too many other mouths to compete w/

Back