Wanna paint back of my tank black

Owen386

Non-member
Hey fellow reefer,

Hope your all ready for Irene!

I want to paint the back of my tank black to hide my plumbing,my dilemma is it's running. Do you guys think it's safe to paint it? I think I have enough clearance to get a brush back there. Fumes or anything gonna hurt my livestock? Also what are you alls options of a painted back? TIA

-Owen

You can get a black film that adheres to the the glass. Its applied in a similar way to the stuff we put on our phones and stays on much better than paint. For a 6' tank mine cost about $20 & I bought it from Sea Creatures in N. Providence.

DE

I recently had plain blue aquarium background on there just don't really like how it looked would develop air bubble and so fourth. What the best way to adhere these I was just using tape.

-Owen

U can paint it, or spray paint it, mask it off and go to work, let it sit outside for a few days for the fumes or whatever to go away

its my believe that only painting it works well and i have done all of them with jus flat black spray paint from lowe's or even walmart... a few cpats and its done quickly and easily... and i have never had any chipping... GL with whatever you decide :)

I spray painted a running tank a few months back. I did a few things to make sure that no paint would enter the system. I covered and taped the openings of my tank and sump to make sure no paint would get into the water. I made sure I had all windows open and a fan to help rid the fumes. I waited 3-4 hours after the paint dried and allowed enough time for the fumes to leave. I used that method and successfully painted the back of my tank. I keep a mixed reef SPS/lps/softies and had no repercusions. Goodluck

I painted the back of my tank black with Krylon Fusion, worked great, but I did it before the tank was up and running. I think if I were to try to paint it with the tank set up, I would use a roller. Just my opinion though-

I'm thinking of doing this myself. What do you guys think would look better with a tank that has black sand?

Back