What is the best way to clean a submersible pump?

natehat

Heading West
My submersible pump has started making a buzzing noise which has been getting louder and louder.

i was going to clean it today.

is the best way to just soak it in vinegar for a while then to run it in vinegar?

if so should i use diluted vinegar or full strength?

thanks for any help

full strength. Even that, it is only 5% Acetic acid

vinegar that thing, at less than a buck a bottle its worth it. Also, if you want to reduce the vibration noise that pumps usually make when sittin in the sump, try making rubber feet for it. You can do this by taking pieces of hose, slitting them down the length and then just sticking them on the bottom corners :)

now that you know what happens; try to clean it before it starts to make noises. should have a good sense of how long it went. if you got noise you got heat; plus the pump isnt working as good so less flow.

I think you'll want to open the pump, soak the parts in vinegar for a couple hours, clean them with a toothbrush, and reassemble.

Not sure how effective soaking the whole pump in vinegar will be.

I had a Mag 3 soaking in vinager and forgot about it for a few days. When I took it out of the bucket, it had actually come apart at the seams. That was the last of the Mags for me.......

Bleach will clean protein deposits, but usually acid is what you want. You can use vinegar, or dilute hydrochloric. You can get concentrated hydrochloric from the hardware store for $4 a gallon, they call it Muriatic acid. 1 gallon will go a long, long way. Use the hydrochloric outside only, and stay upwind! Goggles and gloves also recommended. Using hydrochloric I can clean calcium deposits in a matter of minutes

Greg
What mixture do you use to dilute the hydrochloric?

Greg Hiller said:
Bleach will clean protein deposits, but usually acid is what you want. You can use vinegar, or dilute hydrochloric. You can get concentrated hydrochloric from the hardware store for $4 a gallon, they call it Muriatic acid. 1 gallon will go a long, long way. Use the hydrochloric outside only, and stay upwind! Goggles and gloves also recommended. Using hydrochloric I can clean calcium deposits in a matter of minutes

I dump some water out of the hose, then add a few glugs of muriatic from the jug. You can use it full strength, it's just a bit dangerous, clears your sinusus though (perhaps permanently)!!!! Probably 1 part acid to 3 parts water is good.

One thing to be careful about...often times when cleaning a submersible pump (did I mention I hate submersible pumps?) I will just pour a bit of acid into the well where the impellor goes. If I'm cleaning the impellor too sometimes it's possible to put the impellor back into place while testing if you've cleaned the well properly. This can be a big mistake if you have any residual acid in the well. The magnet will 'pop' into the well and any acid will 'pop' out into your FACE!!! I've never gotten a shot, but I have been startled a few times.

Goggles are a beautiful thing.

One more word of caution for working with acid - "Do as you oughta, Add Acid to Watta" (in the words of my high school Chemistry teacher). Never pour water into a container with concentrated acid. Instead put the water in, and then add the acid.

If you add water to acid, when the first drops of water hit the concentrated acid, the heat created by hydration of the acid can actually be sufficient to boil the acid, and spray it back in your face. :( Start with water in the container, and the water will act as a heat sink to absorb the heat without really raising the temp.

Greg alluded to this but I thought I'd make it a bit more explicit.

Last edited:
Back