What's a Good Return Pump for a 155G?

pvh

Non-member
What's a good return pump for a 155G tank with two overflow? I need some suggestion. The quieter the better and of course quality as well.

How much flow do you want in the tank, and how much of it being created by the circulation pump (and moving through the sump, vs internal prop pumps or closed loop)?

is the sump under the tank, or in the basement? how much head pressure has to be overcome?

How much flow do you want in the tank, and how much of it being created by the circulation pump (and moving through the sump, vs internal prop pumps or closed loop)?

I'm not sure on the flow from the return pump (never had a sump before). I will have a vortech and Tunze powerheads for circulation.

is the sump under the tank, or in the basement? how much head pressure has to be overcome?

The sump will most likely be under the tank.

what size is the drain from the tank to the sump one pipe or two how much is you skimmer capable of prosessing???

Peter, I would go with the Eheim 1262 if it is under your tank. It is quiet and reliable for insump or external. You can add a second one for redundancy more flow from sump to display but the I think you can get enough flow from the vortec and tunzes.

what size is the drain from the tank to the sump one pipe or two how much is you skimmer capable of prosessing???

It's a dual overflow with 1" drain. What do you mean skimmer capable of processing? It's a ETSS evo500 w/ Cap 3000 pump.

I run a Quiet One 4000 on my tank.

it came with the tank.
is it really quiet.
they are cheap to replace.
only runs about 50w.
compact size
I think 1000 gph is plenty thru the sump, i also run a couple modded MJ's for flo.
I may even get a 2nd one cuz my skimmer pump is LOUD.

Thank you.

I have a Mag 18 but not sure if this is too much for what I have. It's not as quiet as I like it to be.

Reeflo Snapper cheap to run and very quiet.
also alot of flow at 2500 gph or you could throttle it down if it is to much and would use even less electric. I am using a dart for return also with one inch drains.Plus great warranty and customer service.

Peter, I would go with the Eheim 1262 if it is under your tank. It is quiet and reliable for insump or external. You can add a second one for redundancy more flow from sump to display but the I think you can get enough flow from the vortec and tunzes.

You could do what Liam does. He puts his pumps in the water during the winter for added heat and keeps them external when it's warm out (no added heat).

You would have to slow down A snapper.. 2 1" bulkheads will put out less than 1300gph? am i right in that?

I say get one that has low wattage and just put some rubber under it to quiet it down.. and if its in sump it wouldlnt be that loud anyways.. i hear my fans over anything soo and i have a Mag9 in sump

And if you wanna mix it up get am Om4 way or 2 way on the return...

you should get a larger pump..that way you can run your calc reactor off of it..run your fuge of it too

I use an Eheim 1262 for my 120 RR tank with a 50g sump. Dual 1" drains with 3/4" returns. I also have it T'd off to supply flow for my refugium. If you didn't "T" off the return for anything ; I think it would be fine for a 155. I can't speak for long term reliability but other people speak highly of it. I can say it is very quiet though. I know I made a good choice for my setup.

I've been hearing good things about the Ehiem 1260 and 1262. I might use two pumps.

Back