Whats everyone using for powerstrips?

Nikkoli110

Non-member
Are there any real good powerstrips out there? I saw the coralife powerstrip horror stories on RC, so I'm def. not getting one of those. I'm just trying to see what everyone uses and whats good for our use of them. And do I need a surge protector? I have the little shockbuster things that I have plugged the powerstrip I'm curently using into, does anyone make them with powerstrips?

Oh I have not seen the Coralife horror stories and I have TWO of those... Can you share a bit about them?

from what i heard the dual timer caught on fire and burn somebody's house down. And there been a recall for those. Dual timer.
I have the single timer and it works fine.

Here is the thread, I think it says it was the single timer one:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=584645&highlight=coralife+timer+fire

I mean you never know if it was their fault or not, or if it has happened again, but I want to make sure I get some good ones. Is a surge protector essential or not? Also, what is the best place for them? I have a cabinet by the side of my tank for an automated top off water, and to keep supplies in, would this be a good place for them? It could be on a shelf all for themselves.

the problem is you dont know how many watts were being run through the timer. perhaps it was user error? there are limits based on the wiring of the unit, you need to make sure you do not want to exceed the wattage limit of your timer or power strips they will melt and possible catch fire if overloaded.

Back