Where to buy glass to build my own custom Aquarium.

mgreefer

Non-member
I need to upgrade my 90 to a bigger size so I am thinking of building my own custom aquarium 60x30x30.

Does anyone know where is the best place to buy glass probably ??. Someplace that would be reasonably priced were they can also cut and drill.

Or is it cheaper to just buy one, I understand it would not be this size?

Any input.

Thanks.

would prob help to know what area you live...alot of glass shops in the west from Framingham on that might be able to get what your looking for

I need to upgrade my 90 to a bigger size so I am thinking of building my own custom aquarium 60x30x30.

Does anyone know where is the best place to buy glass probably ??. Someplace that would be reasonably priced were they can also cut and drill.

Or is it cheaper to just buy one, I understand it would not be this size?

Any input.

Thanks.

you might find out that going with glass cages might be cheeper atleast get a quote.

would prob help to know what area you live...alot of glass shops in the west from Framingham on that might be able to get what your looking for

I live in the Reading area, but I wouldn't mind driving to the west of Framingham. Any ideas, recommendations for a decent place have them cut it and drill.

Thanks.

you might find out that going with glass cages might be cheeper atleast get a quote.

Would it hold the volume, pressure, etc, I would think glass cages are built with much thinner glass. For the one I would like to custom built (60x30x30) I would think I need at least 1/2 inch thick glass. What do you think?

Thanks.

Would it hold the volume, pressure, etc, I would think glass cages are built with much thinner glass. For the one I would like to custom built (60x30x30) I would think I need at least 1/2 inch thick glass. What do you think?

Thanks.

I can not comment on it from personal experience but do a search. A lot of BRS folks have been satisfied lately with theirs...

glass cages builds their tanks thicker than all-glass does from my experience. also im sure you can have it built however you want, just call them up.

you might want to make sure you have tempered glass on the bottom......

I bought a custom size aquarium from glasscages last summer. I'm satisfied with it. 72"x24"x17". I opted for glass overflows as well. Construction is good. Glass overflows don't have teeth, so you need to retrofit some sort of screen, I use egg crate. Price was good. I think I paid around $400 delivered with (2) 1.5" bulkheads installed.

If this is your display tank, you will want to consider incorporating trim into the stand and hood because the seems are not very pretty, but otherwise i think a good value.

I've used Federal Glass in Framingham on route 9 many times for other glass projects.....seemed to always have or could get whatever I needed. Give them a call.

glasscages also makes black acrlyic overflow covers with teeth. I guess you just silicone them in place. I bought a set but have not installed them yet.

Back