who has an automatic battery backup?

PRTA79

Non-member
i'm looking to get an automatic battery backup in the near future ,and i want one that would run 2-4 powerheads for at least 8 hours

i saw one that brs sells , but they say that it can only run 1x k3 pump for 8 hrs , and it sells for $179, for a bit more i could probably just build one.

just wanted to know what people are using?

I have the APC XS 1500. Backup for computer equipment I had lying around. Never tested actual time they will stay on, but it has kicked in for various reasons. I personally would stick to server equipment versus a fish specific thing.

Computer APC backup I have running a return pump and lasts about 6 hours. By that time I can usually get the generator up and running.

i have a vortech mp40w and the seperate battery back up (made by vortech) will sense a power outage and run the pump for a max 36 hours, then when the power turns back on it will re-charge and be ready in case it happens again..........if you have two vortechs it will run each for 18 hours, and you can run 2 battery back-ups in tandem and get double the run time............

....it was the best $160 (but you have to have the vortech pump as the battery wont power any other pump) i spent on my tank as i have the piece of mind to know that my corals and mostly my fish are safe in the event of a power outage, and 36 hours should keep me covered as i live in norwood and the longest we've lost power is 2-3 hours, most times the power is out for only a few minutes, if i lived up north {NH,Maine} I'd get a generator

Last edited:
I was totally off as the back up is just a 1500 so I get about 75 min before it shuts off. Still enough time to get the generator up. I have not had to resort to that yet.

Back