Votes: 1 16.7%
  • ASW/artificial sea water?

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
Stupid search says "NSW" and "sea" are too short to search properly :rolleyes:...

That being said anyone use NSW/natural sea water? I'm in Ipswich and have pretty easy access to NSW only a few minutes from my house and have always thought about trying it and then re-reading Paul B's thread from start to finish has prompted me to ask around and strongly consider switching...

So who is using it (especially on the North Shore in my area) and what are people doing to "clean" it up before using it for water changes?

Hi Dave, I have used NSW on reefs with no problems. I grew up in Winthrop, MA. In high school, while volunteering in husbandry at New England Aquarium and working at a pet shop (pet supply depot on route 1, Saugus... the first NE Petco after we were bought out) I started using NSW on my own tanks. Inner Boston Harbor water taken from sand filtered spigot used in every exhibit in the building that had seawater. After I got tired of lugging buckets in my car after a full day at the aquarium I just collected water on days after long dry spells at a local beach on calm days with incoming tide, near high water. I never filtered this water, just heated and used. Never noticed a problem with any creatures I kept. Over 16 years ago I collected NSW with a 12 volt bilge pump and cigarette lighter plug with extension cord that I filled garbage cans with in my pickup to drive home. Did not filter that, collected on a boat ramp like Paul B. Then, I had to move to Maine for work, the employer had a marine lab with flow through raw seawater that I used again taking Jerry cans home, no issues. More recently I started using water from Buzzards Bay collected along the shore of New Bedford, close to a sewer outfall and at the mouth of a Cove with CSO’s that still discharge in big rains. This comes into a seawater lab in my work building. I can take it for free. This water is filtered through some fancy filters and UV sterilized. No problems. Hanna ULR PO4 tests practically zero. Calcium no lower than IO. All kinds of life Corals Clams Fish Inverts no problems. I did not filter in my younger days and would not now either, it is just easy where I get it now... if your water is sediment laden you could filter it with a fine cartridge. I did use a canister for that but ended up realizing my feather dusters and all the sponges cleaned it faster and better anyway, and seemed to thrive too, while getting it. I encourage you to try. It never hurt my pets. Just heed the advice of collection on incoming tides, near high water, in the most seaward location you can after dry periods with little rain. I have been doing this for over 20 years. PaulB has me though!!!

I'm pretty sure paul b does

Oh believe me I've already asked him just waiting until he logs on in the morning. He'll probably swear at me out loud before graciously answering yet another one of my questions!!!

Hi Dave, I have used NSW on reefs with no problems. I grew up in Winthrop, MA. In high school, while volunteering in husbandry at New England Aquarium and working at a pet shop (pet supply depot on route 1, Saugus... the first NE Petco after we were bought out) I started using NSW on my own tanks. Inner Boston Harbor water taken from sand filtered spigot used in every exhibit in the building that had seawater. After I got tired of lugging buckets in my car after a full day at the aquarium I just collected water on days after long dry spells at a local beach on calm days with incoming tide, near high water. I never filtered this water, just heated and used. Never noticed a problem with any creatures I kept. Over 16 years ago I collected NSW with a 12 volt bilge pump and cigarette lighter plug with extension cord that I filled garbage cans with in my pickup to drive home. Did not filter that, collected on a boat ramp like Paul B. Then, I had to move to Maine for work, the employer had a marine lab with flow through raw seawater that I used again taking Jerry cans home, no issues. More recently I started using water from Buzzards Bay collected along the shore of New Bedford, close to a sewer outfall and at the mouth of a Cove with CSO’s that still discharge in big rains. This comes into a seawater lab in my work building. I can take it for free. This water is filtered through some fancy filters and UV sterilized. No problems. Hanna ULR PO4 tests practically zero. Calcium no lower than IO. All kinds of life Corals Clams Fish Inverts no problems. I did not filter in my younger days and would not now either, it is just easy where I get it now... if your water is sediment laden you could filter it with a fine cartridge. I did use a canister for that but ended up realizing my feather dusters and all the sponges cleaned it faster and better anyway, and seemed to thrive too, while getting it. I encourage you to try. It never hurt my pets. Just heed the advice of collection on incoming tides, near high water, in the most seaward location you can after dry periods with little rain. I have been doing this for over 20 years. PaulB has me though!!!

Great to hear! Right by Crane's Beach or by Plum Island would be best. I'd wait for the incoming high tide and I wouldn't be too worried about it not being clean as the current can rip through there pretty good and I wouldn't really even need to worry about the beach people messing up the water. The only issue is it would be a long walk back to my car from Crane's so I'd have to plan/investigate for the best spot.

Lucky for me I also work some shifts with the local harbor patrol so I can harass him and go looking for the best spots one day when it warms up!

I would try to look for a convenient boat ramp then rig a 12 volt bilge pump and extension pipe. I used a 500 gph and 8’ length of 3/4” pvc pipe line to extend my reach beyond the waters edge where things are less “dirty” to avoid fouling the pump with the flotsam. Put a hose barb on both ends, one for the pump, one for the hose to fill your containers. I used a buoy on the pump end of the extension and dive weight on two feet of line as an anchor. The buoy just kept the pump off bottom. This rig was nice and easy to tend. I rigged an inline switch on the wiring so I could kill the power between containers and not douse my truck. Right to cigarette style 12v outlet on dashboard.

I would try to look for a convenient boat ramp then rig a 12 volt bilge pump and extension pipe. I used a 500 gph and 8’ length of 3/4” pvc pipe line to extend my reach beyond the waters edge where things are less “dirty” to avoid fouling the pump with the flotsam. Put a hose barb on both ends, one for the pump, one for the hose to fill your containers. I used a buoy on the pump end of the extension and dive weight on two feet of line as an anchor. The buoy just kept the pump off bottom. This rig was nice and easy to tend. I rigged an inline switch on the wiring so I could kill the power between containers and not douse my truck. Right to cigarette style 12v outlet on dashboard.

Thanks for the setup tips!!! There is an easy spot right near a beach that I could easily grab water from but it's not the best spot in my opinion but I have to talk to a bunch more of my co-workers who are big boaters to get their $.02 for locations...

If only I had a damn boat!!!

Back