yet another build thread (180 inwall)

cilyjr

Chris
ok so over the next 2 weeks i will be building in a recently purchased 180 into the basement where i have had a 90 gallon for a few years. the 90 has been sitting in a 61/2 enclave in a finished room in the basement. i have a fish room with sump behind the wall. the plan is to remove the wall that is in place and put the tank in the exact spot the 90 is currently in. here is a shot of how it looks currently.
tank-full.jpg

here is a rough of what i want to do ( the mail slot in the middle is forced hot air heat vent)
tank-build-1.jpg

i have the 180 in the basement (thanks takara for all your help) and will be drilling on sunday. i will be building a toothless overflow box with 3 1inch drains and the return will be over the top.

i am planing on building the stand out of 4x4 with 3 legs across the front.do you all think i could put 2 across the back? for ease of access to possibly putting the sump under it.

equipment purchased in the next post

for equipment i purchased:
korilia controllable pumps and control module with 4 pumps (i could not use vortec because of clearance issues outside of the tank and i do not like tunze)

2x 250 watt mogul mh lamps in lumenview reflectors for the far left and right.

1x150 de gueissman for the center

i have 2 4ft vhos that i will use as supplemental lighting

ASM G-3 PROTEIN SKIMMER W/ SEDRA 5000 PUMP

NEPTUNE SYSTEMS AQUACONTROLLER JR WITH SERIAL PORT + TEMPERATURE PROBE + DC8

i have already in use a 75g sump and i will use a 20l that is currently a nem tank as a fuge. i will also continue to use my diy calcium reactor for now.

i plan on running a new dedicated gfi circuit from the box as i have 10 blanks. and i will be adding a generator in a month but need to pay this all off first :)

just curious why you're going 2 250's and a 150? Why not go 3 250's in lumenbrights all the way across the board?

Looks like it should be a really nice set-up though.

That is going to look great Chris!
What are you going to do with all the nems in the nem tank? U putting them in the 180?

yeah the lamps are already over the 90 and the 150 is over my 20 nem tank currently....

i will be keeping the rose nem, and the flower nems but the greens are all going bye bye.. want one matt?

so do you all think a 4x4 can support the weight along the back with only 2 4x4 legs i will have a 2x4 on the floor to keep the legs from moving out?

ok so i drilled, built the overflow and siliconed it on today.

used a wooden template with a notch for the water and a 5 gallon bucket to drip. drilling went fast
IMG_7401.jpg

IMG_7409.jpg

overflow was quick as well
weldon 16 for the acrylic. and siliconed it in. i taped the glass but wished i remembered to tape the overflow box but the bead was smooth as i have done enough tubs now.
IMG_7413.jpg

used some old laminate flooring for bracing to hold it until the silicone dries
IMG_7414.jpg

as far as the stand i will use 8 legs. all gonna be kiln dried 4x4 and i will use steel brackets to place the legs. 2x4 to skirt the bottom to keep the legs upright and 2 2x4 center braces.. .i think that will hold 3k in weight!

if you've ever seen the AGA stand for a 180, there isn't any 4x4 in it at all, so you are totally overbuilding it....a good thing.

why did you go toothless on your overflow? Looking for that data, becuase I need to build one myself.

Also, I see the holes drilled for the drain...what are you doing for the return? In planning stages for a new tank myself at this point.....

i went toothless mostly because i did not want t buy a router to put in the teeth. but while deciding that people say you get better surface skimming without the teeth. i may put in eggcrate behind it but i am still flip flopping about it... since it is in wall the return will be over the top. i plan on using the bean animal siphon drain and that needed 3 holes..for more info on the overflow system follow this link http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

leak tested the overflow...passed
but more exciting all my equipment arrives today....its christmas!

ok so slated for today...

new circuit and receptacles..this was going to be a later stage but garydn was over and noticed the extension cord running my tank off the gcfi plug was very warm to the touch. so this was made a priority! (thanks gary)

and i will start the stand build today and will move it into place later. i want to have as much done as possible before i need to move the 90 because when it gets moved it will be on a 20g sump and not be as stable IMO. so once it is moved i want to go fast with the wall and new tank placement. (no more then 2 weeks).

Looking good chris, can't wait to see this baby running, oh and i could take one of those nem's from ya as well, just set up a 33 long for softies and stuff so i got some room.

Hey if you need help, I'm without a phone right now, if you PM me on here I should get it quick. Just remember to give me your number again because my phone is in pieces.

Back