Yet Another Thread About Return Pump Selection

Armando

v 4.0
I want to downsize my return pump. Need something that gives me around 1,200GPH at 4ft. It's VERY important that the pump is silent and cool and energy efficient (in this order). What is the winner?

I run a sepquence dart on my 2 92 corner tanks with penductors.

without the penductors the flow is too much and the overflow (megaflows) does not work correctly (stops skimming surface).

i would think that if you have dual drains and install penductors, that might be the way to go.

pumps

I run little giant mag drive pumps on my skimmer and calc reactor. I used to uise them for my return as well until I went into the basement and upgraded to a Dolphin. The little giant 4 series (MDQ)? is around 1200 gph and almost silent. Mag drives also contribute nefligible heat and are energy efficient.

Dart is what I was using for my 92+75+75 setup. Now that I have only the 92, I think it would be too much power for it. I'll have to turn it down 75%.

you'd be amazed at how much the penductor cuts the flow because its not a pressure rated pump.

I also plan on downsizing my main pump. Without the external skimmer and the in-line chiller, the Dolphin is overkill. I'm thinking that the Sequence Hammerhead would be a good choice.

Back