Your view on growing macroalgae in a tank

Ford625

Non-member
Hi all,
I was just wondering what everybody's views were on growing macroalgae in a tank. I didn't have enough $$$'s to get a sump with fuge or a HOB fuge so I went and got some for my tank. I was told it grows quick so I have to keep it trimmed. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks in advance.
-Dan

this all depends on what kind of macro it is.
if it was something like red gracilaria or chaeto, i would..but if its byropsis or caulerpa, no thanks.

alot of people out there have some beautiful macro displays with fish and coral.. you jus have to be sure to get the right kinds of macro, and fish/inverts who wont chomp your pretty plants :)

there are some great macros out there that would work as far as function and looks...

I'll have to take a picture when I get home. I'm not sure what kind it is. I definitely don't want it to over take the tank. As far as what would eat it, I have a small hippo tang that may but hasn't yet. I'm not sure he knows what it is yet :)

please tell me its not caulerpa lol... you dont want that stuff imbedding in your rock... be sure to post a pic...

Will do. It was already growing on a rock when I got it. But anyways I plan on keeping it trimmed. Then when I have the money for a fuge I'll put it in that :)

thats cool... ;)

jus an FYI, caulerpa grows across rock almost like a vine, ancoring itself as it goes... stringy and thin... the issue is, when it imbeds/anchors itself, it grows back from that same spot when you try and remove it, or i should say after you remove it... even worse, it can be very toxic to your tank should it ever decides to go asexual... or whatever its called... if there is enough of it and this happens, a tank crash is very possible... this is one reason most people use the curly, clumping cheato... its much safer, and much more managable...

I got grape caulerpa in my tank some how and it is very problematic. I trim it all the time and keep my nutrient levels as low as possible so be careful of macros in your tank.

In that case I will definitely keep an eye on it. I don't want it getting out of control. I hope it's not the asexual re-rooting kind. Lol. I will snap a pic tonight and one of the whole tank after the "move" I did. I didn't end up moving it but I put a black background on it and put it on the new stand. Looks a lot better!

This is the macro. I'm not sure on what type it is though...Good? Bad? Ugly???
ford6251

Back