Complete Disaster!

Mike Lemming

BRS Member
PreBoil.jpg

Here is my little 20g all in one (holding tank) until my new 125 build is up and running. Everything was doing so well for months! Fast forward to Thursday when my ATO reservoir was almost empty. I refilled the reservoir and thought everything was going great! I went down to the basement a couple hours later to find my InkBird temperature probe out of the water and my tank running at 109 degrees! Killed my flame angel, pajama cardinal, a clown and 3 nems. I tried to salvage what I could and set up another tank but, after 4 days, seems like all of the coral is dead. So frustrating and almost makes me want to throw in the towel as some of those corals have been in my collection for 4+ years! This new setup will truly be a reset as I only have a few fish in QT and no live rock or coral to bring to the new build. I was heartbroken!
Boil1.png

On the left side, you can see the steam rising from such a hot tank!
Boil2.png

Water is so cloudy!
Boil3.png

109 degrees..
You live and you learn I guess!

That is awful. I feel your pain, since I have had 3 tank crashes in the 10 years of reefing. The only thing that is good about it is that it is an opportunity to try out new corals.
Sorry about your crashes! This is the first time in about 6 years of reefing that I've ever had more than a couple fish or a few coral die. Never the entire tank! On to the next build..

That sucks. I had the same thing happened on the holding tank I'm using now. Fortunately I keep my house on the cold side so when I walk past the tank I could feel warmth radiating off it so I checked it and got it before it went up past the mid-80s.

Sorry for your lost.
This is the number one reason I use heaters with thermostat build in with the heating elements.
This types of accidents happen so frequently.
Thanks Dong. I've been running an Apex for years but, this is just a little holding tank while my new build was developing and I never bothered to set up the Apex with this system, Just throw on the InkBird. You live and you learn..

That sucks. I had the same thing happened on the holding tank I'm using now. Fortunately I keep my house on the cold side so when I walk past the tank I could feel warmth radiating off it so I checked it and got it before it went up past the mid-80s.
Mine in in the basement for now and It must have only been 2 hours between my tank being fine and then it being 109. So frustrating!

View attachment 170203
Here is my little 20g all in one (holding tank) until my new 125 build is up and running. Everything was doing so well for months! Fast forward to Thursday when my ATO reservoir was almost empty. I refilled the reservoir and thought everything was going great! I went down to the basement a couple hours later to find my InkBird temperature probe out of the water and my tank running at 109 degrees! Killed my flame angel, pajama cardinal, a clown and 3 nems. I tried to salvage what I could and set up another tank but, after 4 days, seems like all of the coral is dead. So frustrating and almost makes me want to throw in the towel as some of those corals have been in my collection for 4+ years! This new setup will truly be a reset as I only have a few fish in QT and no live rock or coral to bring to the new build. I was heartbroken!
View attachment 170204
On the left side, you can see the steam rising from such a hot tank!
View attachment 170205
Water is so cloudy!
View attachment 170206
109 degrees..
You live and you learn I guess!
oh man! so sorry about this loss. every one of us have a sh!*** easy avoidable story something like this :-( Keep you head up your new build will be epic i’m sure.

Sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing. I will check my temp controller probe and make sure it’s securely in place when I get home.

Back