rasta zoa not colored up vs nonrasta zoa

andlim

Non-member
I was sold these zoas as Rastas. I don't think they're actually Rastas at all, but the person who sold them to me is saying they need to color up. thoughts?
thanks!

Attachments

• 2020-01-25 04.31.59 1.jpg
    2020-01-25 04.31.59 1.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 365
I'd say those are not rastas. Maybe it's just the blue light pic, but do the colors really look like the photo?

They should look something like this roughly.

what colors pop out to you? From that pic they look blue but that could be from lights or phone pic or both.
04D0EC06-8C5B-4C97-9BF9-7C2EB8203773.jpeg

yeah I figured! I know what rastas look like since I've had them before, but the person I bought them from say to "let them color up." The colors are primarily green with a reddish mouth.

I asked the seller about them and this was his response. any validity in his statement? I've never had zoas look so different from what they're supposed to look like.

Attachments

• 2020-01-25 06.36.58 1.jpg
    2020-01-25 06.36.58 1.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 295
Maybe they color up but I’ve never seen Zoas take that much of a hit but then again I don’t know the lighting.

I asked the seller about them and this was his response. any validity in his statement? I've never had zoas look so different from what they're supposed to look like.
Rasta retains its color fresh frag or not.
What you have are not Rasta. I also see these zoas from wild colonies time to time.

I have a screaming head cold and can still smell the BS. If you want some rastas, swing by Attleboro. I've got a few frags hanging around and would gladly give you one.

I have a screaming head cold and can still smell the BS. If you want some rastas, swing by Attleboro. I've got a few frags hanging around and would gladly give you one.

Thanks so much for the offer! I'm going to lay low with the coral for now though, but may contact you in the future. These "rasta" set me back $30!

I was sold these zoas as Rastas. I don't think they're actually Rastas at all, but the person who sold them to me is saying they need to color up. thoughts?
thanks!

I don’t know, they do have the same colors/ patern. I’ve never seen zoas look like that from fragging but I have seen new wild colonies come in looking like that and it does take a few months under the LED’s to make the colors come out lol. I wouldn’t throw them away just yet, keep us updated. If you want to trade them for another Rasta colony let me know I have plenty.

some of my Rasta’s

67AF813B-BDA0-4976-AAE7-F05A8227F2BC.jpeg
0E0D026B-7C05-4815-BE22-745B200090E5.jpeg

if they end up being no name zoas, it would be imo. I'm going to wait and see, but definitely not getting my hopes up.

this is what irritates me more than anything about this hobby. Who cares if they don’t have a fancy name! I understand not wanting to be ripped off, but spend money on something if you think it’s worth it, not just for the dumb name someone gave it. Half the crap out there morphs, looks different under different lighting, and next year will be half the price.

I remember a few years back when rastas were all the rage and going for dumb money, then just last year I got maybe a 10 polyp drag for I think $10 at the FFM. Who knows, mine could ens up also not being true rastas, but idc, I like them and they were worth it to me what I spent on them.

this is what irritates me more than anything about this hobby. Who cares if they don’t have a fancy name! I understand not wanting to be ripped off, but spend money on something if you think it’s worth it, not just for the dumb name someone gave it. Half the crap out there morphs, looks different under different lighting, and next year will be half the price.

I remember a few years back when rastas were all the rage and going for dumb money, then just last year I got maybe a 10 polyp drag for I think $10 at the FFM. Who knows, mine could ens up also not being true rastas, but idc, I like them and they were worth it to me what I spent on them.

There's no need to get offended by my statement which is likely due to misinterpretation. I meant "no-name" in the sense that it's an indication that they're not as desirable as well as not what I intended to buy. I wanted Rastas for their coloration, not for their name. In this case, as a beginner, I was duped.

Even super common zoa such as radioactive dragon eyes have a name since they have great coloration and are still popular despite being so common. The colors of these zoa are pretty drab especially under normal lighting. Under only blues they're ok looking with some green coloration that appears brighter at different angles (especially from above which definitely was part of the mistake). I was told they would "color up" which likely isn't the case and they aren't worth the money imo.

There's no need to get offended by my statement which is likely due to misinterpretation. I meant "no-name" in the sense that it's an indication that they're not as desirable as well as not what I intended to buy. I wanted Rastas for their coloration, not for their name. In this case, as a beginner, I was duped.

Even super common zoa such as radioactive dragon eyes have a name since they have great coloration and are still popular despite being so common. The colors of these zoa are pretty drab especially under normal lighting. Under only blues they're ok looking with some green coloration that appears brighter at different angles (especially from above which definitely was part of the mistake). I was told they would "color up" which likely isn't the case and they aren't worth the money imo.

I get that, and sorry if I came off harsh on you personally. The whole cost associated with fancy name thing just irritates me and I wanted to vent. :)

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back