Search results

1. Joe Rice

Hydrometer/ refractometer question

I was just watching a video where Richard Ross claims that even refractometers can be off by ±0.002. So .005 between a refractometer and a less accurate hydrometer seems well within the possible error range. Also calibrating to the zero point is not as accurate as calibrating to a salinity...
  2. Joe Rice

Test Kits

My test kits
  3. Joe Rice

Ati essentials pro

Yep, it was iodine that was the big one that was low. I've been dosing it by hand every day since the ICP results came back and I think I'm starting to notice my corals coloring up a bit. Of course, I'm always doing other stuff as well, so who knows if it's really the iodine.
  4. Joe Rice

Ati essentials pro

Interesting. I'm using ATI Essentials and not sure I'm completely happy with it. My last Triton ICP test came up with shortages in several trace elements.
  5. Joe Rice

Live blackworms available at Reef Junkeez

Got a few ounces of live blackworms today at Reef Junkeez and my fish are all smiling. I think they just got them in today. I've found the fresher they are the longer they seem to live.
  6. Joe Rice

FS Green hairy mushroom coral - Littleton, MA

6 or 7 heads. About 6" across when fully open $100
  7. Joe Rice

Question for successful macro algae growers

I've been getting good growth of grape caulerpa with this 22 watt (2680 lumen!) soft white LED bulb. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y3YVS3K/ But in attempt to get even better growth I ordered this Zetlite refugium light yesterday...
  8. Joe Rice

WTB Bushings for IceCap gyre?

Any interest in this? http://bostonreefers.org/forums/index.php?threads/non-working-gyre-xf150-littleton-ma.159161/#post-1368191 Comes with some unused bushings
  9. Joe Rice

Paul B's thread

I've been working on hybridizing Copperband Butterflies and freshwater angels. Want one? o_O
  10. Joe Rice

Paul B's thread

Do you ever use an in-tank acclimation box when introducing new fish? Thinking of getting a Copperband Angel but worried my tangs might need to get comfortable with it before releasing it into the tank.
  11. Joe Rice

Paul B's thread

The evidence that you're doing something right that I find most compelling is that your fish are breeding continuously. I've heard you say - and it rings true to me - that that's a sign of very healthy fish. It's not the case for my tank, so I'm hesitant to add unquarantined fish directly to the...
  12. Joe Rice

Paul B's thread

Love your style of reefkeeping Paul and would love to know a few details about your setup: 1. How many times a day do you feed? 2. How do you maintain alk/Ca/Mg? 3. Do you use a skimmer? 4. Refugium? If so what sort of macroalgae? 5. Filter socks? 6. Any other details you think are important...
  13. Joe Rice

Paul B's thread

What's the herb and why two different clam juices?
  14. Joe Rice

Paul B's thread

Adventure just seems to find you, Paul :D
  15. Joe Rice

Paul B's thread

My clownfish are 3 years old now and have never spawned. Think I'm going to have to start feeding them live blackworms.
  16. Joe Rice

FS Non-working Gyre XF150 (Littleton MA)

Bump Gyre XF150 that no longer seems to work. Getting a flashing red indicator on the controller. It's certainly possible that with some more troubleshooting it could be fixed, but it's also possible that either the controller or the pump itself is toast. So basically selling for parts. Comes...
  17. Joe Rice

Sold Neptune DOS dosing pump (Littleton, MA)

Still have the Neptune DOS dosing pump and looking to sell: It's everything that comes in the box: the DOS itself, tubing, aquabus cable, power supply, small plastic 50ml cup and an extra 16 meters of tubing. $225
  18. Joe Rice

Paul B's thread

Where did you get the conical piece on the top? Doh, nevermind, found it on amazon, of course. https://www.amazon.com/Oneida-Molded-Dust-Deputy-Cyclone/dp/B002JP315K