Search results

1. Paul B

Paul B's thread

Its a real place Paul
  2. Paul B

Paul B's thread

Do you know what unit he was with or what year and where in country. I was with the First Cav and I am sure he heard of it.
  3. Paul B

Paul B's thread

My Daughter bought me this painting from the Museum of Modern Art in Manhattan. It's from Coney Island and says Pauls Daughter. Actually there is a place on the Coney Island boardwalk named Pauls Daughter and this is a realistic painting of the place. I was born near there.
  4. Paul B

Ann. April 21, 2024 7:30PM Member Club Zoom Meeting Guest: Paul Baldassano Owner of a 52 Year Old Reef Tank and Author of The Avant-Garde Marine Aquarist

I feel bad I didn't win a book. :confused: But I will enjoy the all expense paid trip to French Polynesia that Paul is sending me. :D
  5. Paul B

IMO, How to set up a tank to be immune where the fish never get a communicable disease

Antibiotics are probably the worst thing we could add to a fish tank unless we have one sick fish and it is in a hospital tank. Even at that, unless I was sure the fish was going to die, I would not use an antibiotic because as I said our tanks run on bacteria and if we kill the bacteria, we...
  6. Paul B

Two years old! Vid of my reef as it looks now.

2 years old, it's awesome. :D
  7. Paul B

All Set Tuxedo Urchin

I collect my tuxedo urchins like this. :rolleyes:
  8. Paul B

Paul B's thread

As I was mesmerized looking at my reef I decided to peruse the net. I googled my name to look for an article I wrote years ago, but I couldn't find it. Instead I found one of my homes while in Viet Nam. I was on 14 of these Firebases. This one was called Fire Support Base Illingworth and I don't...
  9. Paul B

IMO, How to set up a tank to be immune where the fish never get a communicable disease

Quote: “Gut microbiota can affect fish physiology, development, life span, immunity, and barriers against pathogens (Burns et al., 2016; Nie et al., 2017; Smith et al., 2017; Yan et al., 2016). Therefore, the gut microbiota plays an indispensable role in fish fitness. Several recent reviews...
  10. Paul B

To me a tank does not start to achieve stability until you see growth on the rocks. No, we don't want it covering our corals but some growth is normal and natural. If your rock is still bare rock, don't put in anything that you don't want to lose and especially creatures that live on copepods...
  11. Paul B

Ann. April 21, 2024 7:30PM Member Club Zoom Meeting Guest: Paul Baldassano Owner of a 52 Year Old Reef Tank and Author of The Avant-Garde Marine Aquarist

The meeting was in person in 2016 and it is here around post 95 https://bostonreefers.org/forums/index.php?threads/paul-bs-thread.154424/page-5
  12. Paul B

It is normally easy to tell if a fish was caught with cyanide. Those fish often look better and healthier. But unfortunately, most of them will die soon. I have seen collectors catching fish in the tropics using huge traps that catch everything. They sell the small fish to hobbiests and the...
  13. Paul B

That was probably due to stress. I am not saying quarantine is good or bad, just stressful and I think it has it's place, just not in an older healthy tank that has the correct hiding places, bacteria and gut bacteria.
  14. Paul B

I just got back from my morning walk, Thank God summer is coming. Anyway getting back to the tank. We discussed how to aquascape to keep the fish as stressful as we can. This is another home made rock. It is bent PVC pipe with a cement covering. This is a coral reef in Bora Bora. I took...
Back