Search results

1. serwobow

"Sustainable "living ark" aims to secure the future of corals": Just 800 corals?

https://newatlas.com/architecture/contreras-earl-living-coral-biobank/ It I read it and thought it was an interesting idea to save corals in a giant facility, but then it says they want to stock it with just 800 corals. Doesn't that seem like a low number?
  2. serwobow

Is high nutrient flux really the best way for acropora?

It seems like most of the awesome acro - dominant tanks I see on reef forums are high nutrient flux tanks. That is, the owners of the tanks feed a lot of food (fish food and coral food) and then export nutrients heavily using their preferred export methods. To me, this seems like a waste of...
  3. serwobow

Battling Detritus. Requesting advice for elevating rockwork above bottom

Being stuck at home, and staring at my tank for substantial periods of time, I have come to notice how much crap accumulates on the bottom of the tank, and I have also come to find out that it is difficult to remove. I would like to permanently elevate my rockwork an inch or so above the bottom...
  4. serwobow

my 666-line wrasse

So, being stuck at home, and having some minor GHA issues, I have been trying various solutions. One solution is putting some mollies in the tank. That sounded like fun, so I ordered 12 assorted mollies online. When they came, I dumped 6 straight into my son's freshwater tank, and 6 straight...
  5. serwobow

My Acros are browning, and I suspect hydrogen sulfide.

Here is the long story - many of my acropora corals have been retracting their polyps and browning out over the last couple of months. I don't know why because they were doing pretty well for over a year, and I have made no substantial changes in my tank husbandry during that time. My montis...
  6. serwobow

Bubble algae: pest? or the coolest reef creature ever?

Check it out! Makes me want to start growing it again. https://www.sciencealert.com/this-ball-of-algae-is-one-of-the-biggest-single-celled-organisms
  7. serwobow

How often do you have to clean your glass?

My glass has been growing film algae lately. Lots of green film. If I skip cleaning it for 2 days, then I can't see in very well. I keep looking for automatic glass cleaners, but the reviews are not good. Getting tired of it. Anybody with permanently clean glass?
  8. serwobow

A single green polyp on a forest fire digitata

Every chance I get, I look over my tank with a magnifying glass. The other day, I examined an encrusted section of a forest fire digitata, and saw a single green polyp in a sea of orange polyps (photo below). This polyp is average in shape, but has a bright fluorescent green center with...
  9. serwobow

Any advice for a munchy foxface rabbitfish?

I have had a foxface for about 8 years. He has been fine for the majority of the time, but recently, he has resorted to munching on acros. He just bites the growth tips on almost all of them. Most of time not removing very much of the coral, but definitely leaving some damage. He does this...
  10. serwobow

Thirty years of unique data reveal what's really killing coral reefs (with link to article)

Just saw this article: https://phys.org/news/2019-07-years-unique-reveal-coral-reefs.html Thirty years of unique data reveal what's really killing coral reefs.... "A key finding from the study is that land-based nutrient runoff has increased the nitrogen:phosphorus ratio (N:P) in reef algae...
  11. serwobow

The fallacy of coral bleaching and recovery?

Almost every time I watch a program or read an article about coral bleaching in the ocean, it is described like this: "Warmer water temperatures can result in coral bleaching. When water is too warm, corals will expel the algae (zooxanthellae) living in their tissues causing the coral to...
  12. serwobow

How high of a temp would you be willing to go before intervening?

Well, the heat is here in New England. Some of you must be in the same predicament. My house heats up during the day. My 50 gallon mixed reef was up to 85 yesterday. Lots of coral in there. No chiller. No fan. At what temp should I start to get concerned? What do you all think? How do corals...
  13. serwobow

Which salinity device to trust?

So, I have had my mixed reef tank for about 10 years now, keeping a wide variety of SPS and LPS. Tank seems pretty good, but not great to me. My acroporas (about 15 different ones) are doing ok, but don't have the extension or color that I'd like. Been measuring salinity with a cheap $10...
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back