10 gal sump for 54 corner

mason90

Non-member
So I was wondering if anyone has a thread on a good 10 gal sump build want to have a skimmer and return mainly... Should I wait till I know what skimmer I'm going to put in before building it? Never actually made a sump before any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks mason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know what kind of skimmer and return pump? I'm just wondering if a decent skimmer/return pump would fit in a ten gallon

15 tall is the same footprint as a 10. They're tough to find, but will make a difference when it comes to your backfeed water when you shut down the return. Look into a good hang on skimmer, or an external. Your not going to be able to put much inside a 10/15t. The manufactured stands for the corner tanks are terrible. There's no room under them; it's the biggest downfall of a corner tank. Don't mess with external return pumps either; go with an eheim or mag in the sump. You don't have any room to fit a large external, and keep it isolated enough to not leak/stress the sump.

You would have to double check the specs for the footprint but I am 99% sure a sro1000sss skimmer will fit inside a 10 and leave enough room for a baffle, heater, return pump, and a float switch for ATO.

Last edited:
Hi,

Check this thread http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums...ld-54-gallon&p=1083753&viewfull=1#post1083753. It describes several decision criteria involved with a sump for the 54c. I am running this tank now and will try to put some pictures up tonite of the current working setup. I looked for a 15g tall tank for sometime, very hard to find, but ideal solution for this tank.

OR if you do custom stand more options are available. There is another thread on this board with custom stand.

I'm not sure about the skimmer size yet return shouldn't be a problem Im not sure if I should wait to build the baffles to see what I need the water level at... Also just a note I'm making this a hybrid frag tank mostly just frag racks but some cool fish

Mason

I fit a 24" tall skimmer under my 54 corner. When looking at skimmer you need to check clearance to remove collection cup. Model i am using needs 1/2" clearance.

I fit a 24" tall skimmer under my 54 corner. When looking at skimmer you need to check clearance to remove collection cup. Model i am using needs 1/2" clearance.

What skimmer are you using? Still looking

u don't really need baffle.just get a ato and set it at the water level your skimmer is set for.I had my sump without baffle on my 54 cause i don't use a refugium.I still have that sump that would fit inside the stand that u saw last time.it has 2 chamber

im useing a external reef octopus useing a mag 5 for a feed pump. its rated for a 250-300g its a beast. i would go with a external skimmer, they are a little expensive but well worth it as you can have it next to your tank instead of taking up all your room in the sump

u don't really need baffle.just get a ato and set it at the water level your skimmer is set for.I had my sump without baffle on my 54 cause i don't use a refugium.I still have that sump that would fit inside the stand that u saw last time.it has 2 chamber

Yeah, I don't have any baffles either in any of my sumps and don't have any issues with micro bubbles. I run SWC skimmers and the output produces a minimal amount of bubbles. I have heard of people having issues with the pumps but I haven't had any issues.

I would go with an Eheim return pump if possible. They cost a bit more but are much more reliable.

Does a triangle hold well thought may be weird to work with was thinking that

if you go to my build thread in photography and it shows my idea on making my sump with the baffles

Back