10g or 15gH: Too small for sump??

SMS76

Non-member
Is 10G or may be if i can fit 15H, too small for sump? I am leaning towards 37G setup and i think these are the only tanks i can make it fit inside the sump. I am thinking about using Mag 9 for return and i am going to have 1" bulkhead for drain. I can throttle down mag 9 if i have to but just wanted to get you guys opinion on this.

Has anybody use these size tanks as sump? Also do i need baffles? Can i seprate small part of sump and make refugium? ANy ideas or links would be helpful as well.
Thanks
Shoeib

I used a 10gal for my 37 and it worked great. The only hard part was getting the baffles right, because I had an in sump skimmer and return pump. But I did get it to work pretty well.

With that low volume, you might wanna check on how much the mag 9.5 is going to raise your tank temperature.

I have a 38G with a 10G sump and everything fits fine. Things are a bit tight but I did not have a problem fitting the ES5. I also run a mag5 which I don't think generates that much heat and I still have to throttle it back a bit.

I have a 15gal high for my 46. Fits a Mag2, small refugium, and chamber for carbon. No skimmer though. I had a 10 gal, but it would come very close to overflowing if the power went out. The 15 give the extra 6" so I don't have to worry.

Any sump is better than no sump. You'll get more oxygen and gas exchange. Not alot of room but atleast you can fit a return pump and maybe a skimmer in there.

Should work fine Shoeib, but I don't think you'll have room for a fuge unless you are not using an in-sump skimmer. I have a 15g long sump for my 65 (or maybe it's a 20? can't remember) and it's a real tight squeeze with 6" diameter skimmer, baffles, mag5 return, and fuge compartment.

Thanks guys for replies. How do you do baffles on this size sump? Like this one: Also how far should be baffles?

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 164
I'd go with the second design. I tried 2 sets of baffles in my first design and they took up the whole sump.

I had an 8g sump on a 60g hex, later the sump was on my 55g.
Worked great, did my water changes of a T that was on the return line. I was able to hide a heater in there & drip kalk

I didnt use baffles on mine and a ER 5-2 plus my return pump and kept the water level as high as I could w/o it overflowing when the power shut off

I don't think there's any need for two sets of baffles. If you want to have a separate refugium, and you think you have the room for it, just use one baffle, angled just off of vertical, so the water leaving the fuge won't create any bubbles flowing into the return section.

I'd say make the baffles 1 1/2" apart. Good compromise between space, and effectiveness.

Back