120 gallon in-wall tank build

blackdog

Non-member
I have referenced a number of "build" threads for ideas for my own tank, so I'll start a thread for my upcoming build in hopes that it will prove useful for some people, or at least provide some entertainment value (hopefully not at my expense).

Next Wednesday I will close on my first house, in Kittery. I considered selling everything off from my current 55-gallon reef before moving. Instead, I decided to double down and build a tank that will literally be the centerpiece of my house. I'm going to plumb the drain and return through the floor to the (unfinished) basement where I'll have lots of room for sump, fuge, topoff, etc.

Here's a shot I took during the home inspection of where the tank will go. The wall separates the living room and the kitchen/sitting room. The part of the wall that sticks out on the left is the chimney surround.
3994015738_6c0f9c74e4_o.png

Here are plans for what I'd like the finished thing to look like: one from the kitchen/sitting room side and one from the living room side.
3980794869_8d8dc04bfa_o.png

3980794977_7ba4e12286_o.png

There's going to be a 3" chase between the chimney surround and the left side of the tank. The frame will be removeable so I can get at those spaces. In the plan there's no door above the tank on the long side, but I think I'll need to add one. I have to be able to access the lights and ductwork. A ventilation duct will run from the basement and then either back down to the basement or up and out--I need to do more research on that.

I'll post more as it progresses, but (I say for the first and last time) it's pretty straightforward, how hard can it be?

Hey all,

Sorry I've been silent since starting the thread. This whole moving-into-a-new-house-after-living-in-the-old-one-for-17-years is time consuming! Who knew?

Anyways, after much thought, I had to downsize my ambitions to a 90-gallon tank, viewable from one side. As much as I liked the idea of viewing the tank from the living room, it was going to be too much work with all the other things that needed to happen in the new house.

So I'll plan to take photos and document the "90-gallon in-wall build" but it may not have the same level of awesomeness.

Here are a few photos of the project, still getting started...

This is a 120-gallon-sized box I taped in place in the front room to judge the size of the tank.

Mockup%20of%20tank%20position.jpg

This is the position of the tank taped off in the living room (the tank was going to be viewable through a frame)
web.jpg

During the hectic week of moving, cleaning, painting, etc., I decided to not knock out the wall to the living room. Instead, I'm going to build a 90-gallon into the front room wall.

web.jpg

The plumbing will still run to the basement sump, which is proving challenging enough. Next post will be frame building and start of plumbing

I have referenced a number of "build" threads for ideas for my own tank, so I'll start a thread for my upcoming build in hopes that it will prove useful for some people, or at least provide some entertainment value (hopefully not at my expense).

Next Wednesday I will close on my first house, in Kittery. I considered selling everything off from my current 55-gallon reef before moving. Instead, I decided to double down and build a tank that will literally be the centerpiece of my house. I'm going to plumb the drain and return through the floor to the (unfinished) basement where I'll have lots of room for sump, fuge, topoff, etc.

Here's a shot I took during the home inspection of where the tank will go. The wall separates the living room and the kitchen/sitting room. The part of the wall that sticks out on the left is the chimney surround.
3994015738_6c0f9c74e4_o.png

Here are plans for what I'd like the finished thing to look like: one from the kitchen/sitting room side and one from the living room side.
3980794869_8d8dc04bfa_o.png

3980794977_7ba4e12286_o.png

There's going to be a 3" chase between the chimney surround and the left side of the tank. The frame will be removeable so I can get at those spaces. In the plan there's no door above the tank on the long side, but I think I'll need to add one. I have to be able to access the lights and ductwork. A ventilation duct will run from the basement and then either back down to the basement or up and out--I need to do more research on that.

I'll post more as it progresses, but (I say for the first and last time) it's pretty straightforward, how hard can it be?

its not my house but i like this way better but what ever u go with it will look awsome good luck

only one problem, if it were my house that T.V. would never get seen as i would just stare at the tank...LOL , just kidding, i like the fact it is visible from two sides.

Back