2 tanks one sump?

absolutecarrot

Non-member
Im planning out a frag tank, which will be 45 gallons. I also just took down a 10 gallon tank and I am thinking that It would be cool to attach it to the frag tank. How would I do this and does anyone else have something like this. Thanks for the help everyone :)

Two tanks total, or three tanks total?

Anything is possible, but getting the in-flow and out-flow to match might be tricky depending on how you have them set up.

My old 120G used to drain to the basement. It was plumbed so part went to a 40G breeder on a stand/table I built, and the rest went to 100G stock tank. The 40B was higher than the stock tank so I just had a gravity feed from there (2 holes drilled in 40B) that drained to the 100G stock tank.

Everything leaving the main display and 40B was gravity fed.

The only place with a pump was the output of the 100G stock tank. This pumped back up to the first floor to the DT. Was a single point of adjustment to control the overall flow rate.

The minute you start adding multiple pumps it could get tricky to keep them in sync.

Reactions: KJB
Two tanks total, or three tanks total?

Anything is possible, but getting the in-flow and out-flow to match might be tricky depending on how you have them set up.

My old 120G used to drain to the basement. It was plumbed so part went to a 40G breeder on a stand/table I built, and the rest went to 100G stock tank. The 40B was higher than the stock tank so I just had a gravity feed from there (2 holes drilled in 40B) that drained to the 100G stock tank.

Everything leaving the main display and 40B was gravity fed.

The only place with a pump was the output of the 100G stock tank. This pumped back up to the first floor to the DT. Was a single point of adjustment to control the overall flow rate.

The minute you start adding multiple pumps it could get tricky to keep them in sync.

2 tanks in total they will be right next to each other

You can have as many tanks on the same sump you want as long as your drains (overflows) on each can handle the incoming water from the return pump or pumps. I would be careful only if each drain’s capacity was vastly different and you were using a manifold off one large capacity return pump. There would be an off chance that a valve on that manifold that was not meant to be open all the way could accidentally be opened and then a smaller drain overcome, flooding the smaller drain capacity tank.

You can have as many tanks on the same sump you want as long as your drains (overflows) on each can handle the incoming water from the return pump or pumps. I would be careful only if each drain’s capacity was vastly different and you were using a manifold off one large capacity return pump. There would be an off chance that a valve on that manifold that was not meant to be open all the way could accidentally be opened and then a smaller drain overcome, flooding the smaller drain capacity tank.

good to know

IMG_20200524_132604.jpg

2 tanks one trigger 34 sump. 80 frag and 57 dt. When i kill power to the return pump I have a few inches of play left over. Buddies tank is 9 weeks past due on delivery so whenever that happens, I'll be replacing the 57 with a 120 rimless. Should be super close when pumps are off.

Waterbox 130.4 on first floor plumbed to basement with 80g sump and a 50g lowboy frag off the same sump. Independent return pumps for each tank. Makes it nice because I can control dosing via the Apex and trident for both tanks.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back