*Filter sock
*EuroReef 6-1 or an ASM g2 skimmer
*Three baffles
*Carbon sack
*Row of probes
*Tunze Osmolator
*Heater
*Eheim 1262 return pump

I plan to build a separate acrylic fuge (one of melev's designs) that overflows into the glass sump via a pair of bulkheads attached to elbows and short pipe.

A 29g sump means a bigger fuge.

A 30g sump means more room to tinker. (I have small thick hands and it takes me more room to manipulate stuff than your average piano-finger type.)

29g and 30g sump owners what's your experience?

Thanks,
Joe

Do I understand the question, you are questioning the difference of only 1 gallon?

Jim

I think rather you need to consider dimensions of each tank, then design your sump around those dimensions. 1 gallon isn't really going to make a difference.

bob

29 Gallon 30x12x18
30 Gallon 36x12x16

30 gallon would be eaiser to cope with I think.. more room to futz around with.

I'm using a 30g and will end up with a decent sized fuge as part of the 30 even. I'm still processing dimensions but I'll post diagrams when I get done.

The 30g tank is six inches longer than the 29 g. Both will work.

If the 29g fits all my stuff comfortably with room for maintenance, then I can make a fuge that is six inches wider.

Maybe I should have asked a simpler question:

Is a 30" long sump big enough to fit and maintain all my stuff?

Hmm.. now you got me thinking..

I bet you could use a 25g for sump.. and a 15h as a fuge.. and fit them both under.
I may be chaging my design...and I have a spare 25g tank

Of course if you are going to DIY the fuge why not DIY the whole thing and make it as big as you can?

This turns out to be a more complex question that I originally thought.

This was the design I was considering:

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/side/sump_model_i.html

If you use a 29g, then the fuge box has to be so tall to overflow that you cannot work in the fuge. I f you use a 30g, then you get 2 inches back, meaning you can work in the fuge, but awkwardly.

I may have to DIY the whole thing to maximize the fuge.

In my next life I'm getting a hamster :)

hmm.. a 20h and a 15h..

The 15h as a fuge.. it's 2" taller, maybe drill it up near the top for a spillover return to the 20...

The oceanic stand has 46.5" x 29.5" of usual space. If you do not want to count the space between the top of the door opening and the ceiling, subtract 3".

Back