3Gallon Pico Tank

DavidGallant

Non-member
Here are 2 shots of my new 3 gallon tank. I picked up nearly everything from folks here on the Boards and the tank has been running for just over 1 month now. I need to decide if I want to pit a fish, or just critters into the tank just next. What would you add next? I have softies and a few other corals in the tank with snails for cleaners.

23308837385_4d9f8ea724_k.jpg

22681714083_ec5f593b5a_k.jpg

I use to have a clown goby and peppermint shrimp in my 5 gallon years ago before I dismantled it. He was always pretty cool, loved being king of the tank

If it were mine, I'd opt for a tiny goby.

Do you keep it on the cooler side? It would be a nice setup for a catalina goby if so.

Nice! Will you cover the top to take of care of evaporation?

Not sure. I've been manually topping it off for now, but that won't work well when I am traveling. Thoughts? I like the look of the topless tank, but it may be time for something.

Edward, how did you get them to pair together? Just putting 1 goby and one shrimp in will get them to pair together?

Looking good. Love these pico tanks. I have a 9 gallon an love it. I have a clown and a fire shrimp in mine. They seem to do well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure. I've been manually topping it off for now, but that won't work well when I am traveling. Thoughts? I like the look of the topless tank, but it may be time for something.

Edward, how did you get them to pair together? Just putting 1 goby and one shrimp in will get them to pair together?

The two I had do not pair, generally you buy a pistol shrimp/goby pair already or individually and hope their instincts kick in. Clown gobys do not do this, their natural habitat is Acro. corals and they breed on the under sides of the branches if memory serves me correctly. Yasha goby are the ones that generally pair with pistol shrimps and keep a little cave/tunnel system together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwcuJ-EwP9c

around 1:45 you can see the shrimp come out if you've never seen these pair together. I'll most likely do this if I decide to keep fish in the tank.

My suggestion for topping off is keep a 5 gallon bucket under the tank with a hole you can fit an electric cord and air tube through and keep RO/DI water in it and hook it up to some sort of ATO system, this is what I have for mine, I just haven't set it up yet because the pump burnt out some how in storage -_-

Back