$40 gal breeder on a budget with pic just over $100 tell me what you think.

gtafanatic

Non-member
So i want to share my story on my 40 B on a budget. it is possible to have a nice looking tank with out having to rob a bank.
let start with the idea, i would say that way the cheapest thing but it was not it cost me a few night of no sleep do to the anticipation and excitement lol. i had a tank that a friend gave me 5 years ago just sitting in the attic so cost was $0 until i look in it and it said do not fill with water (god damn critter tank) so first cost used 40 GB, 36" reef 50/50 light with fixture that also holds 3 compact bulbs (CL Craigs List)$30 now all the prices where achieved with skillful negotiating :) Next my 12k HID $0 left over from HID job i did, the case is a modified halogen spot light that was taking out of the trash. Next i help a friend move out of his apt, to bad at that point all his tank where broke down and at the storage unit where we went. i ended up buying 36" Attinic light and fixture, a 3/4 full bucket of reef salt,power head and a canster filter (knock off small fluvel x5) for a total of $36. Next built a few custom LED light bars all off of one control board with left over led kits that i had from my Shop (Amkustoms.com) $0 next1/8" Plexi top cut to fit (got from old job) $0 next hydrometer in tank float type $1.50 Ebay. Next a 5 gallon and 2.5 gal bucket of live sand ,2 live rocks,1 magnetic power head (CL) from a kids (turned out to be a friend i made a Petco years ago tank that was just broke down for $20.Next EV 120 protein skimmer (same guy a week latter) $25 next power head 2 $0 in stock next i got a 5 gallon bucket of dead coral skeleton and other calcium rocks (i guy i meet in Petco) $26. Next Overflow box, wetdry sump and mag 7 along with 90 gal tank (cichlids tank now) Freebe (CL). heaters $0 have from past tanks. Next 5 gallon bucket of nice Nature's Ocean live Aragonite Reef Sand (used some for refug and gave away rest to help next guy) along with a 80 lbs of live rock $0 traded for my labor (3hr) for install on alarm/remote starter.

Quick brake down

Tank and reef light $30
12k light $ 0
Attin,salt,power head,can filter $36
LED light bars $ 0
Plexi Top $ 0
hydrometer $ 1.50
Sand,2 live rock,power head 1 $20
Protein skimmer $25
power head 2 $ 0
coral,calcium rock dead $26
overflow,wet/dry,mag 7 $ 0
heaters $ 0
5 gal bucket N O sand live rock $ 0

GRAND TOTAL SO FAR $ 127.50
i will post the pic in the order i got the parts and order i built the set up. I hope i put this in the right place. and i hope i have shed some light to people that do not think they can afford a salt tank. be patient and you will get good deals.

Last edited:
pic 1 the idea its going under the tv ST The idea.JPG

led light bar with just the white on, this bar has red, blue, green, white i will post vid of simulated lighting storm that i programmed into my control box. speakers are tucked up over the tank.ST led.JPG

I would not put that under your tv... not much space under there. Maintenance and rockscaping will be a pain. The light will not spread that well when its that low to the tank, and also may cause heat issues.

i have put in fans and over killed on the light if i ran them all it would look like your looking into the sun. the back is open and there is a window to the right where the fans can pull or push the air. i have been running the tank for over 2 months and data long it every day. temp, levels etc. i have been in the tank at lease once a day to once every other day and i have no problem getting to anything or moving anything as long as the top is off.

Hey if it works for you, go for it! I just know I wouldn't ever set up a tank like that because eventually I think I would become annoyed with it. The light higher up would make it less bright, but more equal throughout the tank.

Last edited:
i agree with that. i will have to take a pic of it now up to date i have the 12k in the middle and there is a 10k on the right and a 10k on the left. now there is a 36" 50/50 in the back with a 36"att also in the back. there are 3 bulb from left to right compact reef sun bulbs that are on timers to go on from right to left and go out like a sun set. in the front there is an other 36" att with an other 50/50. and lastly i have 3 of the led bars one in back one in front and one in between the 3 center lights (U shaped).if that is not Enuff light im screwed lol. if you look at the pic in my profile/avtar i can understand why you would think it was not enuff light

Last edited:
no there is space and the way i have it mounted you can move it, so you can focus it where needed, the case is also all aluminum so it does not get that hot but i did put a flat piece of ceramic tile above it just in case. good question.

Back