$5 Shipping?

Yes it is true we do it all for the good of the club. All the money goes to running the club, no one is paid a dime.

To be honest it cost me money to be a club offical. All the running around and going to everymeeting, 4 BOD meetings a year all cost me gas money. Usually a 2hrs round trip the gas adds up.

Not complaining those are just the facts.

Last edited:
There are no paid positions in the club and the majority of the volunteers routinely pay out of pocket for things for the club, make large donations of corals, equipment etc, not to mention don't get compensated for travel , time, computer equipment etc.

Edit: um what they said :)

Is it true that no one makes any profit on this site? Sponsors and advertising fees included. Just curious. Not being a wise guy.

I'm 99% positive that all of the profit goes back to the club... whether it be in the bank to do something nice with (like the bus trip to atlantis aquarium) or too booking halls for meetings...and keeping the forums/site running properly..

Don't quote me on that... but i'm almost positive that's how it is.

The club is set up legally as a non profit, required to keep accounting and file returns as such. For someone to make money from it would mean extortion.
Honestly I know most of the BOD and officers personally and have since the clubs inception. I honestly believe that what these guys (and girls :) ) look to get out of it is knowing that they are making a difference in the hobby and helping to foster a more responsible and rewarding experience for all.

Last edited:
Non profits can have paid staff, but we don't.

Sooooo I won't be getting a weekly stipend of $500 and a company car for running the photo contest??????? Hmmmmm... Greg you lied to me!!! :D Will I at least get the expense account?? :confused::D

And we love dealing with the Taxes for the group.... what don't you all love doing taxes :p

In the FWIW category we are current on all tax filings Federal and State.

And we love dealing with the Taxes for the group.... what don't you all love doing taxes :p

In the FWIW category we are current on all tax filings Federal and State.
Sheesh, hats off to you. This was always such a PITA. Even when we had Jim doing the taxes it was still painful, and a lot of his CPA time.

Here is a kicker for you, Gina and I paid that $5 too, thought nothing of it until this came up. We will be asking for neither a refund nor an extension, that's five more dollars the club has to better serve it's membership, money well spent IMO.

ok guys, I didn't mean to start anything here. It was an innocent question. I didn't understand - up front - that by not using auto renew I would incur an additional $5 cost. As a club member I would have liked to have known before. That's all. I paid my bill at 2am. My bad. Maybe I missed something. Live and learn. I guess I still don't know what that covers in a volunteer group, but I think that's not going to get answered.

We all appreciate the time the BoD puts in. That's not in question. I know I've done all I can to contribute in a positive way to the club in my own way.

Don't worry about the 5 bucks!

ok guys, I didn't mean to start anything here. It was an innocent question. I didn't understand - up front - that by not using auto renew I would incur an additional $5 cost. As a club member I would have liked to have known before. That's all. I paid my bill at 2am. My bad. Maybe I missed something. Live and learn. I guess I still don't know what that covers in a volunteer group, but I think that's not going to get answered.

We all appreciate the time the BOD puts in. That's not in question. I know I've done all I can to contribute in a positive way to the club in my own way.

Not to worry the only bad question is the one not asked.

We weren't aware of how the system was working on the whole, so it only pushed us to make it better so it is more comprehensive. It doesn't
charge the shipping fee as of now, if you are charged shipping there is a sticky at the top of the membership forum where you can post to that effect and it will be returned. It was a glitch in the setup of the membership signup. We will be working to implement a system that is even more comprehensive down the road
which will make it easier for the members, membership comittee and BOD.

Problem is sometime we need to consult with the entire BOD, as no one functions as a one man band. So these things can take a little time so the BOD can discuss the issue and come to a decision in the best interest of the group.

As in this situation where we had a to do some research to even state to how the setup was running. At that point we needed to go over the details so we could bring it back to the membership in a manner that was fair.

I only explained how things ran in this instance so everyone is on the same page and understands how these issues are handled.

Like I said previously we are committed to the jobs we stepped up to do and moving the club forward. So please keep the questions and support coming :)

Last edited:
Wow, talk about having a circle the wagons mentality. All that was being challenged was having to pay a 20% surcharge fee for renewing online using one method vs. not paying that fee for renewing online using another method where both methods incur the same cost to the club. That's it. The rest of this stuff about how hard the BoD works, etc, are nothing but irrelevant tangents and distractions that have no bearing on the topic what so ever.

Not to worry the only bad question is the one not asked.

We weren't aware of how the system was working on the whole, so it only pushed us to make it better so it is more comprehensive. It doesn't
charge the shipping fee as of now, if you are charged shipping there is a sticky at the top of the membership forum where you can post to that effect and it will be returned. It was a glitch in the setup of the membership signup. We will be working to implement a system that is even more comprehensive down the road
which will make it easier for the members, membership comittee and BOD.

Problem is sometime we need to consult with the entire BOD, as no one functions as a one man band. So these things can take a little time so the BOD can discuss the issue and come to a decision in the best interest of the group.

As in this situation where we had a to do some research to even state to how the setup was running. At that point we needed to go over the details so we could bring it back to the membership in a manner that was fair.

I only explained how things ran in this instance so everyone is on the same page and understands how these issues are handled.

Like I said previously we are committed to the jobs we stepped up to do and moving the club forward. So please keep the questions and support coming :)

Thank you Greg. That's all I was looking for. And to reiterate, I am not saying that any of you on the BoD aren't doing a a good job and working hard for the club. I was upset about what appeared to be a basic unfairness in the system and the initial responses to the questioning of it. Again, thank you for looking into this and setting things straight.

I would have said $5 well spent.

The BoD works hard, Thanks for all the help and hard work.

Last edited:
Lets move on from this

Insults will not help anything. If someone has an issue or question they should not be insulted for asking a question.
Nor should the person answering the question. Many times on a forum the layout is such that posts do not always
clearly and precisely convey the point or information a person was trying to make. Something for everyone to consider.

If you want to show your support or give input that is one thing, but insults are not acceptable. There is a way to
go about things when making a point but once you throw an insult out your point is lost.

Last edited:
Regarding the BRS as an entity:

To reiterate and state again. The BRS is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization which was registered with the Commonwealth of Mass back in August of 2002. All the details of the original article of incorporation are here:

http://www.bostonreefers.org/about/bylaws/articles020826.pdf

The above link is always visable on the forum. Click on Bylaws first and you will see the link to the bylaws and the articles of incorporation.

The BRS as an entity pays no profits to anyone, you cannot buy stock. Any money generated via whatever means is directly used to fund club activities (meeting venues, speaker travel, equipment, the roadtrip, etc.). Annual statements are on file with the IRS as well (ask Delta how much fun that is to do!!).

Hope that clears things up.

We all appreciate the time the BoD puts in. That's not in question. I know I've done all I can to contribute in a positive way to the club in my own way.

I don't think anyone took your post that way. It is actually good you brought this issue up, otherwise it may have gone overlooked much longer, obviously this was an issue that needed to be addressed.

Back