5lb CO2 refill cost

JD46

Non-member
Went to Air gas in Billerica today to swap my 5lb CO2 tank. My jaw dropped when they charged me $37. $31 for the fill, $3 for a HAZMAT fee and $3 tax. Last year I refilled in the summer for $25 and this past Jan for $29. Is the price going up everywhere or is Air gas just looking to raise their stock price?

That does seem crazy expensive. Are you sure it's a 5lb tank and not a 10?

I agree that seems really expensive. I got my 5lb filled for $20-$25

Same here, my local for a 5lb was around $20!
Upgraded to a want to say 20lb was $38 (at AirGas). They did explain to me dollar for dollar the larger was the best price :)

I generally swap ay Tropic Isle in Framingham, $20. One of the things very reasonably priced there for drygoods. Then I can lool at fish while they are swapping.

or you can get a large tank in your basement and fill it once in god know how long (last I filled mine was 18 months ago and it ran a 200Gal heavily planted for more than 9 months (set to 6PH), it just ran out yesterday, the cost was like 40$ for the swap when I got it.

If you have the space that's the way to go, a steel tank, paintball size can be had for about 100$ on craigslist, just make sure you get a purchase agreement from the seller, otherwise chances are airgas will try to appropriate the tank since most of the tanks are painted with "property of airgas" on them.

Yes, it is a 5lb Aluminum. Cost including Hazmat rate was $25.93 in July 2013, $29.11 in Jan 2014, and $37.30 today. I think that the difference is that they charge a premium for aluminum tanks (they don't always have aluminum so I have taken steel in the past). Now that I have both of my tanks back to aluminum, I may be refilling elsewhere.

Back