Acrylic rods?

TomD

Non-member
Now that I am planning to setup a new reef very soon (and a bigger one than I had before), I am wondering about using acrylic rods to build the rock work as I am seeing so many do. I did not use any rods in my 90 and if I don't have to, I think I would opt not to so I have the freedom to rearrange.

I always felt safe with good size base rocks. Who else is not using any support in larger tanks? 120+

I just don't want any mistakes. And after seeing how great some peoples rock work looks I am thinking maybe its worth it.

There are also the threaded plastic rods and nuts that marc sells.

There are also the threaded plastic rods and nuts that marc sells.

Really? I didn't realize that. I am already buying my rock and sand from him so I will check it out now. Thanks

I have to go read some build threads as well because not sure I would know where to star as far as mounting them. After seeing Barry's rock work I may see if I can pay some real talent!

I have a grid work of acrylic that the rods fit into like peg in a hole. This way they are adjustable and you can use what ever length rod you want for that particular spot. Only downside is if you want to rearrange the rods, the sand makes it extremely difficult since it will fill in the empty spots. Here is mine, not sure if you can make it out in detail.

Attachments

• 100_1972.JPG
    100_1972.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 100_1951.JPG
    100_1951.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 100_2072.JPG
    100_2072.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 104
That looks great Mike, I did see that in your thread. Honestly, I don't have confidence to DIY stuff like you do. I am going to study up on it for a while and think about it.

That looks great Mike, I did see that in your thread. Honestly, I don't have confidence to DIY stuff like you do. I am going to study up on it for a while and think about it.

I got this from a guy on the reef tank, but it is one that I would try as it doesn't need to be water tight or very clean. Do need a good table saw and router to make it though.

I used the threaded nylon rods and nuts on my 93 gallon when I set it up. My main arch is made of five rocks. Three are attached to each other, then the other two are pinned together. They rest safely against each other. I have already had to take all the rocks out once due to a MEAN fish. With them pinned together it was really easy and only took a few moments. I didn't even both taking the corals off I was just really careful. It took maybe 20 minutes total to take all the rocks out, catch the fish and put it all back.

If you glue them together with acrylic rods that would seem to be move difficult to take apart to rearrange. If you use the nylon rods you could easily take them apart to move stuff around.

If you choose to pin them together make sure you keep the sections where you will be able to pick them up out of the tank once they are water logged.

Back