Acrylic vs. Glass and Protecting Hardwood Floors

travester

Rookie
Well, after six years in Boston, I've moved to sunny California. You know it'll be 78 here on Friday, but I digress...

Despite having some nice weather, we don't have nearly the saltwater community infrastructure here that you all have in Boston. Thus, I'm turning to you for some questions regarding setting up a new tank. Here we go...

1. Acylic vs. Glass: I found a great deal on a 90G acrylic system with most of the bells and whistles that I "need" (want). Is this a bad idea? Does anyone have any sage advice before I jump in?

2. How do you handle coralline growing on acrylic without damaging the tank? Can it be done? Do you just have to get it early?

3. Any trouble with MH lights over an acrylic tank?

4. Anyone have hardwood floors and have a good idea to protect the floors? I was going to put down a large rubber mat, but might that trap water and hurt more than help?

5. Lastly, does anyone have strong opinions on lil' giant pumps, or aquamedic turbofloater sumps? Aquanetics chillers? Rio Powerheads? If you think I might me be making a mistake -- I'd much rather know now than in a few months!

Thank you all for the advice, and for the help and frags over the past couple years.

-Greg

"sunny California" thats not what i've been hearing lately :D
I can help with a couple of your Q's

Metal halides-make sure they are a good distance away from the acrylic and position them over the cutouts.
Rio's-people have had a lot of problems with these in the past with regards to failure then releasing toxins from the meltdown of their internals,not to mention the risk of electric shock.However i use them and have not had a problem,i think maybe they are slightly improved.The only problems i have is on my wavemaster pro they chatter when they are switched on,this only happens when they are new and goes away after a few weeks(probably wear the impeller away somewhat.IMO they are what they are "cheap pumps".
I like them though because they are more compact than maxi jets and can be hidden more easily.
Hardwood floors-i would definitely go with the mat idea as long as it is a good 2 feet bigger than the tank(front and sides).When i had my tank on hardwoods all those little drips from your hands in and out does a number on them.
I'm sure some other BRS members will chime in here on the other stuff and maybe their experiences with the rio's.
-Liam.

"Acylic vs. Glass"
In CA ..Acrylic all the way! (think earthquakes) Ask around

I have 2 little giant pumps in service for 2 yrs now with no problems. IMO, they are the best pumps I've had experience with....

Sunny CA? Heres mud in your eye! ;)
Hope you aren't near a hill

I agree w/Marc on acrylic in CA

Corraline - keep the glass clean, stop it before it starts. Use acrylic safe "scrapers" - some people use credit cards

MH can "harm" acrylic (the top usually) over time if it is near a brace. WHat size light? 250? A fan would probably be a good preventative measure

Floors a tuff one. I simply wipe up real good. My floor was refinished after my tank (built into wall) was installed. So if it is removed there will be a noticeable area under where it was.

RIO - can't say I like them. I only use them for mixing water etc, not in the main tank/system

Thanks

Ooh! The earthquake point is very well taken. I wasn't even thinking about that. Thanks for all of the help!

-Greg

Definitely acrylic for earthquakes...I agree. I have 300 gallon acrylic reef tank that I clean with Magnavore cleaning magnets...you gotta get em'...and buy strong ones. If you by strong ones then the sand from the bottom does not interefere with cleaning. I can clean right along the sand line and no scratches.

Another point: No matter how good of a cleaner you are...you WILL get corraline algae on the front pane. I use the Kent plastic blades to scrape off the corraline. When I get really lazy and big corraline accumulations present themselves, I use the Kent metal scraping blade....yes metal....I know people will tell you not to but believe me, you can't get thick corraline off easy with plastic blades. If you are really careful with the metal blade, you will not create any visible scratches. Also, if you scratch the tank....you can get a scratch repair kit at Champion Lighting and other places. The kit consists of several buffing sheets called "micro-mesh" and it does work well. I use the micro-mesh sheets with weaker cleaning magnets to polish out scratches regularly without draining anything.

Cali?'....I am envious, I luv So Cali...anyway good luck and I would be happy to answer any other questions you have.

I have to agree that it isn't a problem to take off the coraline algae with the Kent pro scrapers made for acrylics. I haven't tried it on huge patches of the stuff, but it only takes a couple of seconds to get through one an inch or two across.

As for the MHs harming the acrylic, I certainly hope not! :p I've got 2 250s suspended about 1 foot above the tank and haven't noticed any problems yet, but it's only been 3 or 4 months.

Maybe we should ship you some of this lovely snow we're getting nearly every day so you can feel at home...

dpnshnks said:
As for the MHs harming the acrylic, I certainly hope not! :p I've got 2 250s suspended about 1 foot above the tank and haven't noticed any problems yet, but it's only been 3 or 4 months.
QUOTE]

I have 2 400 W and 4 250 W MH lamps 6" above my tank and have not had a problem for the last 5 years. Bu none of the lamps are directly above seams.

Back