Aiptasia help needed

I had an Atlantic Spotfin Butterfly I collected myself in RI that was a hell of a good aiptasia eater and left my montis and softies alone. He was in this setup a while back. When it got larger, 4”+, it used to mow down larger ones and get stung but always go back for the finish. Shaking its head and saying oohhhh, that hurts but it tastes so good!

I don’t know what to tell you. Aptaisia is one of those you kind of have to keep and eye on and live it to some extent. It’s a nuisance but it’s not actively killing anything. Yes, when they’re out of control, it’s a horrid sight but it can’t kill your corals overnight.
You can take out the rock and scrub them off but I’m not sure that will eliminate the issue forever. And that’s a lot of work on an existing mature tank like yours. And so what you have eliminate them. For how long? A week, a month, a year? Every tank will have aptaisia. It’s just a matter of time and all you can do is to have enough natural predator to control it.
I think what you have as natural predator will work but it will take time. I like to use aptaisia X or Joe’s Juice on the larger aptaisia and always have peppermint shrimps or other natural predator around to keep them in check.
FWIW, when I had my old tank with angelfish, there was not one aptaisia in the tank where The angelfish are even though the overflow box was an aptaisia farm. I see it as an extra filtration stage. :D
I think this is what i needed to hear. all I see when i look at the tank is the aiptasia but if the reality is thats part of the hobby then I need to manage it.. (and the scratch i put in the tank on week 2 of owning it) but its not worth tearing down the tank and starting over type of issue. I appreciate the feedback.

I had an Atlantic Spotfin Butterfly I collected myself in RI that was a hell of a good aiptasia eater and left my montis and softies alone. He was in this setup a while back. When it got larger, 4”+, it used to mow down larger ones and get stung but always go back for the finish. Shaking its head and saying oohhhh, that hurts but it tastes so good!
Ha, I've contemplated trying to add another butterfly fish too but the tank is probably overstocked at the point I'm at. When i added the copper band the yellow tang didn't leave it alone and after I saw it picking at corals i had to pull it out.

Back