Alk testing Questions

MichaelJ

Reefer
BRS Member
Quick question…….how many days do you test Alk before making a call on consumption? Test daily and at same time? Better to test at certain Ph levels? So morning or afternoon or night depending on Ph levels? ‘
I’m asking cuz I think my tank is consuming roughly 10 ML a day…I get it to 8.3 then test it the next day and it’s 7.8…..afternoon testing and Ph roughly at 8.15…..I’ve been able to keep Ph levels steady due to installing a C02 scrubber.

Oh….and can you drop 5ml of Alk at once? Because I did it….
Thx for any answers

EDITED FROM 5 TO 10 ML

Last edited:
Consumption changes depending on demand of the tank. I test for alk maybe once a week. And never test the Ph.
5 ml isn't much. But,everything depends on the tank size.

I test alk at every morning around 10am,

I don’t care about the pH as long as alkalinity is in range around 8 to 10, (or 7 to 11, which doesn’t matters),
The definition of alkalinity is the sea water buffering capacity, it means the ability of seawater to hold the pH in normal range, which is from 7.8 to 8.3. Higher alkalinity means better ability for the sea water to hold pH in acceptable range.

As far as dosing 5 mL of alkalinity solution all at once, if your tank is greater that 20 gallon, no problem dropping it all at once right in front of a wavemaker.

I test alk at every morning around 10am,

I don’t care about the pH as long as alkalinity is in range around 8 to 10, (or 7 to 11, which doesn’t matters),
The definition of alkalinity is the sea water buffering capacity, it means the ability of seawater to hold the pH in normal range, which is from 7.8 to 8.3. Higher alkalinity means better ability for the sea water to hold pH in acceptable range.

As far as dosing 5 mL of alkalinity solution all at once, if your tank is greater that 20 gallon, no problem dropping it all at once right in front of a wavemaker.
Awesome, I have a 60 total, I’ve dropped 5ml twice a day for the last 2 days, I didn’t want to nuke my tank. I got a lot of good feedback on R2R, if I start getting to dosing more than 30 ml then I’ll start auto dosing.

Back