amazing little pump that can...good old maxi jet

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I received three new maxijet pro from mail yesterday and set them up today, they are the ones come with maxi-mod kits which run maxi-jet 1200 at 1300 GPH.
Set them up was very easy and it is quite amazing how much flow they put out. It is as strong if not more than a Koralia 4 and definitely much better than a Koralia evolution 1040. Plus these maxi-jet will run almost forever. It is quite comparable to the Seio prop-pump 1500 which is almost 3 times as expensive. For $19.99 a pop shipped, can't beat these little pumps in terms of value.

Agreed! I had one on my 29g when my Vortech MP10 was dead (while waiting for the replacement in the mail, you remember the story) and that one single $20 Maxi-Jet was making the exact same flow my $250 MP10 did. The difference? A wavemaker. Lol.
If it weren't for the fact that I like how clean an externally magneted drive looks, i'd go full Maxi-Jet or Sicce on all my tanks and add a controller. But since I am unfortunately a minimalist, my bank account has to suffer. =[ Lol.

Another thing I noticed is that the suction cups on the Maxi_jets are INSANE! Or atleast mine were! I literally had to use a credit card to wedge in there everytime to get the three cups off to glass! Makes ya feel very "secure" knowing your pump is... "secure"

I notice those suction cups as well, suprsingly strong grip.

Be careful...Maxi Jets are no longer Maxi Jets...they are made in China now and I have found their reliability is not what it used to be. I have had two fail and in few months and all I was doing was using them for mixing salt! That means I used them for about 288 hours (12 water changes x 24 hours mixing), vs. 2160 hours (90 days x 24) hours in tank use. On an equivalent use basis, they lasted 12 days!

Cobalt Aquatics MJ1200 is the new name for the Maxi Jet 1200 and is made in Italy and costs $38.

BTW, my original Maxi Jets (pre-China) are still going strong.

Pumps that are used to mix salt can tend to wear out quicker as the pump sucks up actual salt grains that wear out the internals of the pump from what I have read. IDK how true that is.

IDK about others, but I still have my same "china" maxi-jet that I use to mix salt every week that i've had for 2 years (which is the one I used when my Vortech failed) and as we speak, it is humming away in a bucket of salt mix. =]

Could agree more with andy.

Bought the Marineland MJ1200, loud as F.

Bought the Cobalt MJ1200, quiet and amazing pump!

Pumps that are used to mix salt can tend to wear out quicker as the pump sucks up actual salt grains that wear out the internals of the pump from what I have read. IDK how true that is.

IDK about others, but I still have my same "china" maxi-jet that I use to mix salt every week that i've had for 2 years (which is the one I used when my Vortech failed) and as we speak, it is humming away in a bucket of salt mix. =]

One question:

Does your Maxi Jet have a serial number on the top? If it has a serial number on top, it is the Chinese version. Because I am pretty sure that if it's two years old, it's the original version.

I have original maxi jets for mixing salt still, as well as a five year old JBJ accela. I don't think the salt mix has any effect on the life. Taking the pumps apart I am not even sure how it could.

Last edited:
Hrm.. maybe i should keep all my made in italy maxijets....
I have two different types of flow adapter kits (seaflo and sureflo) and yeah, they put out a ton of output with the mods. The nice thing about the koralias though is that I think they put out a little less heat (important for smaller tanks) and they come with the magnets. You can buy the magnet adapters for MJs though.

Last edited:
Back