Another carpet surfer...aaaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhh!

joefitz

Non-member
That makes three...first, it was the red scooter blenny. Then the female clown. And now poor Flash, the six-line wrasse. He was my first fish (4 years). A good fish without an aggressive streak in his body but also not too shy.

You'd think I'd have learned my lesson and found a way to cover the darn thing by now. I wonder if anyone has developed a psychological profiling tool to detect potential jumpers... :(

Anyway, I just had to vent for a minute.

Since my move in July 05... I still have everything in a couple 150g rubbermaid trough tanks rather than in my display tank (which has better protection for jumpers).

I've lost 5 fish since I started this hobby. 3 jumpers over the past year and half-ish, 1 tiger goby that arrived hidden in my live-rock and died for unknown causes (likely lack of food and/or tank cycle) and a lamarck's angel that I think ate something that didn't sit well with it (I found it wedged into a rock of zoas face down with a full belly).

Sorry for your loss, knock on wood my sixline is also a model citizen and would hate it if he jumped.

That stinks. I was pissed when my first clown jumped onto and died on my center brace:(

Yeah its really awful to find a fish dead on the carpet.. Since my first jumper I am using egg crate to cover the tank and am very happy I did so.. now when I go out I am not worrying, and there hasnt been any ill effect to my corals.. everything seems to be growing fine still. I dont know how much light the deflect though..

Sorry to hear about your loss joefitz. Jumpers are a downer.

My first jumper was disturbing. I rolled over in the morning and got stuck in the neck. My chalk bass had jumped several feet into my bed and was stiff and spiny when I woke up ... screaming. It must have been a precision jump through a small gap in the glass cover I had at the time.

I have no idea how my second jumper, a lantern bass, made it through the egg crate on the little tank -- I really thought his girth would have precluded that.

Anyway, take some precautions, but they aren't guarantees.

Back