Another dumb "how to frag" question(s)

Ultramarine

www.lisabohnwagner.com
I've got an acro that's bleaching (http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35436). I'm going to try to save it by fragging. I've never fragged an SPS (well, except snapping off an elkhorn branch by mistake) so I have some questions.

1. Since I don't have bone cutters, what's the best way to do it? Snap it off with my fingers? Use a screwdriver as a chisel?

2. Do I do it in the water or take it out?

3. After it's separated, do I immediately glue to rubble?

4. Where do I place the frag? Low light, high flow? High light, high flow?

I'm really hoping to save this coral, so any advice would be appreciated.

I know they're dumb questions, but I'm trying to learn and save my coral. Could someone help me out here, please?

I use cutting pliers to cut off branches. You can also break them off with your hands if you are strong enough, but when you do so you can damage a lot of the live tissue of the coral, which is basically a veener on top of the skeleton. Outside the tank you dry the base of the coral, apply some superglue (gel) and stick it to a dry rock. After it's hardened (5-10 min) place it back in the tank in an area where you think it will do well.

If your coral is stressed before fragging it, put it towards the bottom of the tank after you mount it so you don't blast it with light. I like to let even healthy frags brown up a bit and encrust in lower light before blasting them to try to get the colors.

I also like to mount frags such that I only put glue on the broken skeleton to hold it in place and position it so some live tissue is in contact with a piece of the rubble - much easier to do on a gnarly little piece of liverock than a smooth shell or reef plug. The frag will tend to encrust must more readily this way than relying on new tissue growing down from the break over the superglue, especially if the coral is already stressed.

Back