Another ICH question

Snickers80

Non-member
I know there are a ton of ich questions but I didn't know how to go about this so here it is

I have a 7.9g nano tank. It's doesn't have much in it right now. Yashia Goby, Candy Cane Pistol shrimp, Royal Gramma (baby) Blood/Fire shrimp, Cleaner shrimp, frag of Xenia, hermits and snails.

I got up this morning and noticed the gramma has ich on him. Not a ton, but some on his fins and a little on his body. I have not seen the Yashia yet today so I don't know if he has visible spots yet. I do know if one has it then they all will soon enough.

My question is what are my options if any to take care of this in the tank? I don't mind if I have to get rid of the Xenia to dose in the tank. I don't have a qt tank.

Side note, the gramma is being held for a friend, I know it's not really the tank for him, so please don't send the police. Lol

Thanks

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

If you don't have a hospital tank, you don't have a lot of options but to reduce the stress on the fish as much as possible with good water quality. As I wrote in my other post, I've been using a product called "Kick Ich" --- they have it at Tropic Isle in Framingham--along with water changes and a UV. The combo seems to be helping, but I also may be between trophont life cycles. Many say to keep feeding well and soak food in garlic---but there is a fine line between feeding well and bad water quality. so you have to be careful. It's going to be really tough with such a small tank, but I would plan on pretty regular water changes for a while--and be sure temp and ph are identical to the tank's when doing so. Good luck, ich's the worst.

Many people debate about UV sterlizers, but I have 5 saltwater tanks, been in the hobby for over 7 years, had to deal with ich in 3 different tanks throughout the years 3 different times and UV has helped me all 3 times. Think people get misinformed because most people that use them don't run the proper size and don't run the gph through them correctly. That is what I would suggest.

I had an outbreak once and the gramma was the only fish that didn't make it. IME a new fish is going to show signs of stress (ich), but will quickly fight it off in a healthy tank with no treatment necessary.(My tank was new and unstable when the gramma died)

No way you want to start A tank IMO. Best bet would be to treat the fish in a QT and let the DT run Fowell for 8+ weeks Sucks I know. Went through it my self little while back and this is what I did and now I QT Religiously. Sure you can live with ICH by why do it if you can Erratic-ate it JMO. Even if you remove the xenia and treat depending on what you treat with whatever it is will leach into your rock and come back out later to bite your corals in the a**.

-Owen

Many people debate about UV sterlizers, but I have 5 saltwater tanks, been in the hobby for over 7 years, had to deal with ich in 3 different tanks throughout the years 3 different times and UV has helped me all 3 times. Think people get misinformed because most people that use them don't run the proper size and don't run the gph through them correctly. That is what I would suggest.

How many GPH do you run through yours? I know people who swear by them.

UV doesn't hurt, but it takes a pretty big dose to have an impact on the ick passing through a sterilizer unit, and not all the ick will pass through.....

Back