Any one able getting Hanna Magnesium meter working right

JPags

BRS Member
I bought the meter and a set of regents. The readings I got were very high. I contacted Hanna and they sent me new regents. I tried several times and I get readings all over the place. Cant get consistent readings. Im actually setting up a return but figured I would ask before I package it up.

Some of the Hanna testers are tricky to use correctly. I've had better results when making a point of wiping down the vial to be sure there aren't any finger prints of optical distortions like water drops. I also make a point to place the vial in the exactly the same position in the tester.....rotation-wise. The thinking is variances in the vial wall thickness can be a variable. Go on YouTube and watch Hanna's video tutorials. They might clear up your wonky results. I have a hard time trusting testers until I've used them enough to believe. I'd recommend picking up a Salifert kit to back up and validate both your tester and your method.

I have salifert and Red Sea kits and those work great and give consistent results. Thought this would work better and easier but that’s not the case. I setup the RMA to return it. All the other Hanna meters work well and I can get consistent results from 2 tests

Guess I’ll just keep doing this one manually

I could never make friends with the Nitrate LR tester. I was thinking of getting the Magnesium checker but will rethink it now if its not trustworthy. Best of luck.....

I use the LR Nitrate, it is tricky but can get consistent results since I do the ATI tests and I see they closely match my results.
I heard good things about the mag checker early on but Hanna changed and went to a different regent system and there are reports of High readings with the new regents. I hope they get this worked out because It is easy if it works.

I've found mine to be ~300ppm off from other tests. I use it more than other tests just to make sure i'm in the correct relative range but I do use a second test at least once a month to make sure the discrepancy is the same.

image.jpg

I use this magnesium check kit….before I test my mag levels. So far no problems
image.jpg

Did not buy that. I just felt it was really crazy over (like 300 points) and I was not willing to go with that far off.

I have almost a full box of regents they sent me. If anyone wants them PM me and they are yours since I sent the meter back

Back