Anyone use 14000K MH Bulbs?

smcnally

Tankless
My boss has them on his 90 and I really like the look. Anyone use them and/or have an opinion? I'm currently using 10000k.

I use aquaconnect 14 k's in 175 on my 46,i love them.I love them so much i ended up buying the 400 watters for the new 150.They are not cheap but the par is great for a 14 k bulb and your corals look awesome with them.
-Liam.

I use the Aqua Connect 250w DE over my tanks and I am very happy with the look...a crisp white blue hue.

Yeah, I noticed in my boss' tank, not only is it nice and white, but the colors on his corals really pop.

I am using a 14K Hamilton DE over my 55. Nice Crisp Blue color. Going to be switching to 20K soon though, just cant get enough of that blue :)

I am currently using 150 x 3 hqi w/4 96 watt true actintis pcs and I love the look. The pcs give off plenty of blue for me.....

What I was mainly wondering was if affects grwoth much. I've read that things grow faster when lit by 10000k when compared to 20000k. I was wondering if the growth rate drops much if any with the 14000k.

smcnally said:
What I was mainly wondering was if affects grwoth much. I've read that things grow faster when lit by 10000k when compared to 20000k. I was wondering if the growth rate drops much if any with the 14000k.
If the growth rate slowed when i switched to my 14k's i never noticed it,but i would do your homework and work out which 14k bulb works best with your ballast as there can be a big difference in output especially as you move into the bluer bulbs

Sorry to hijack...but curious if those running the 14ks are using any actinics as well. Thanks

-Linda

I as of yesterday have a 14 k CRA DE on my SPS side and a 20K de on the softy side honestly really cant see much of a difference unless you know how to look at it . I had the 15K? megachromes and didnt care for them in my home but they were nice to others

Aquadiva said:
Sorry to hijack...but curious if those running the 14ks are using any actinics as well. Thanks

-Linda

I am currently running 192 watts of actinic pc's with my 175 14k's but when the new tank with the 400 watters is up and running there will be no actinics,they will come on for dawn dusk only.With the pc's at the moment it makes the lighting appear like 20 k halides.

-Linda

I run VHO actinics with my AC 14k's, but as far as looks go...I think you could easily get away with out them...the 14 k's have. I am not sure how it would affect the growth though?

I use coral vue 14k 400's on my 120. No actinics . I get great growth out of most of the corals and the colors are awsome . They blow my ushio 10k away by far!!!

IMG_1402.JPG

Nice picture! I've noticed on my boss' tank that it reallly brings out the greens. His green star polyps look like they glow green. Mine (From his colony) look more like they are brown with a little bit of a green highlight. So, I most likely will order the bulbs this weekend or get them from a local store. I liked the look of my 10000ks at first, but they didn't whiten up over time as much as I thought they would.

I have the 14.5k bulb from megachrome, and I absolutely love it, I went from a 10k to the 14, and it is alot more crisp without the overpowering blue color you get from 20k. If you go to 14 I can pretty much guarantee you will be very happy.

Back