Aqua C Remora PreFilter Question

stevertr

stevertr
I installed the prefilter box the other day and I had it set up so that the water level was just below top of the teeth, and it seemed as though both sides of the box were equally "full" of water. I was moving things around yesterday and readjusted it such that now the water is just barely above the bottom of the teeth. As such it appears that less water is going in, or rather it's going in slower than the pump is pumping out, and this the water level in the pump side is lower that the return side.

The effect of this is that water is being skimmed in and is then "falling into" the pump side. It's much noisier..and I think if I lower the whole box I can stop that...but now I'm thinking that maybe that's exactly what it's supposed to do.

Any ideas??

Steve

It can be noisy but will be noisier if it is cavitating because it is dry (not enough water)...you need to have it set so the water "waterfalls" over/thru the teeth so you get the surface stuff going into the box. The otherside has a sponge that you can remove but it basically is to trap micro bubbles. If you don't have the bubbles, remove the sponge. It gets clogged and becomes a nitrate factory over time so if you use it, clean it regularly.

wrassefan said:
It can be noisy but will be noisier if it is cavitating because it is dry (not enough water)...you need to have it set so the water "waterfalls" over/thru the teeth so you get the surface stuff going into the box. The otherside has a sponge that you can remove but it basically is to trap micro bubbles. If you don't have the bubbles, remove the sponge. It gets clogged and becomes a nitrate factory over time so if you use it, clean it regularly.

Gottcha..... It's definately not cavitating.... I'm just hearing the sound of the "waterfall" into the pump... I'll go in and pull the sponge out. I really need a long pair of forceps. I've also heard that I can fill that chamber with carbon if desired.... Stop by and check the tank out this weekend Andy.... I'm sure you'll have a million ideas. I bought that epoxy stuff for putting things together...but it didn't work too well in the verticle position. The thought of crazy glue in the tank was blowin' my mind but I think I'm going to have to try it. Just want to make sure I know where I want something to live before I glue it there...and as I keep getting new things I want to move stuff around... Just tired of the snails knocking stuff over.

Steve

I ran my Remora for about 2 years without a pre-skimmer then finally picked one up a couple months ago. It is a PAIN in the arse to get tuned but once I did I got a huge boost in the volume of skimmate. Have to empty the cup every day now. But yeah, it really was a pain. The other thing that happend was that the cord on my maxi jet would push against the box wall so that the intake on the powerhead was slammed up against the other wall (did that make sense?). That REALLY restricted the intake and it took quite a bit of fiddling to get that fixed. Overall, I wish there was a better solution but it's working now. I stopped adjusting for evaporation and just let it run so that about 50% of the time it's getting good surface water and the rest of the time it doesn't but I ran out of patience. :-(

Wes

Back