Aquarium Sites or Amazon?

Jim Tansey

BRS Member
I was always a pretty good customer of some of the popular aquarium sites but more and more find myself buying from Amazon just recently two big purchases. They make it so easy and if your a Prime member free shipping and "one click" ordering and often next or two day delivery, is it just me?

Jim

I also find myself buying more and more from amazon. That prime membership really pays for itself. The free 2 day shipping plus the free returns is what keeps me buying from them.

Buy from where ever that is cheap or less. Its your hard earning money.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

Amazon often offers items cheaper than wholesale price LFS can get.
That is due to Amazon's buying power and it gets very big discounts from manufactures.
When factor in Prime free shipping, it is hard to beat.

Interesting, for one reason or another what I don't get locally I have always purchased from online fish stores DFS, BRS,.... But I order a ton of other stuff through amazon. Never really thought to look at amazon for aquarium supplies.

I have bought most of my stuff from amazon and That Pet Place.. They seem to be the cheapest around for stuff.

I looked on amazon for my mp10 and new skimmer and I either couldn't find it (mp10 I think) or it actually wasn't cheaper (skimmer) but I do love the prime membership except their streaming included movie selection is starting to stink...

I believe most of the items still come from retailers or manufacturers, however they pay for space to store their items at various amazon fulfillment centers in order for prime eligibility. Its not like amazon is buying everything themselves and then re-selling with prime shipping. They are simply taking some money off the top from selling fees and the the fees associated with the space to store the products and the remaining goes directly to the provider of the goods.

Well sell a lot on amazon for some of the frag racks we make, we do not do the fulfillment options by Amazon as of yet but have considered doing that in the near future. Really what is doing is still allowing retailers and manufacturers to have another outlet for selling products without the worry of shipping the items themselves.

From the consumer point of view they are now able to get some of the same products they love with the expedited shipping at no cost.

Last edited:
Yes the items definitely do come from some of the same suppliers and often shipped direct from them my Apex supplier was listed on the Amazon site (I forget who) and shipped direct from them. I don't think I would have received it as quick as I did if purchased direct and I'm not sure how it works but some stock must be allocated for Amazon only. I'm also guessing retailors don't make the margin they do on a private sale but something is better than nothing, also "fair traded items" are the same price on Amazon or private.

Yes the items definitely do come from some of the same suppliers and often shipped direct from them my Apex supplier was listed on the Amazon site (I forget who) and shipped direct from them. I don't think I would have received it as quick as I did if purchased direct and I'm not sure how it works but some stock must be allocated for Amazon only. I'm also guessing retailors don't make the margin they do on a private sale but something is better than nothing, also "fair traded items" are the same price on Amazon or private.

Profit margins are greatly diminished due to fees but you do get more exposure and opportunity for sale so there is always a trade off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back