Aquascape tank with live rock?

Sparent25

BRS Member
Hi. Any tips on aquascaping a tank with live rock? Red Sea Max 250 (66g) that I just acquired and I have the live rock in a large tub with powerheads and a heater
Should I try to aquascape the tank half full (To keep the live rock wet?

IMO i'd do 1/2 from bottom to top so it leaves room for growth and if you ever want some nice Acros going forward!

If i could just setup tanks all day i would lol. But take your time and be patient with yourself in regards to hiding spots. Swim throughs arcs etc...for the fish of souorse.

yes! Thank you
Do I have to be concerned keeping the live rock out of the water for an extended period of time though? That’s why I was asking if I should literally fill 1/2 of the tank with salt water while aquascaping? Or if it doesn’t matter at all and the live rock will be fine out of water for an hour while I ‘scape?

yes! Thank you
Do I have to be concerned keeping the live rock out of the water for an extended period of time though? That’s why I was asking if I should literally fill 1/2 of the tank with salt water while aquascaping? Or if it doesn’t matter at all and the live rock will be fine out of water for an hour while I ‘scape?
iF AN HOUR OR SO IT SHOULD BE FINE. YOU COULD ALSO DO OLD SCHOOL STYLE AND WET NEWSPAPER IN SALTWATER TO KEEP IT FROM DRYING...IF LONGER THAN AN HOUR.
iF IN TANK JUST KEEP WETTING ONCE AND A BLUE MOON BUT IT SHOULD BE FINE...

I wouldn't do newspaper. The Ink and sh** comes out when wet and into the tank.
Paper towels is what I've used in the past when I transfer rocks from an existing tank for aquascape in the new tank.
The live stuff probably last longer than my paranoia but I don't let it dry for more than 30mins.
Have the water ready to be pumped into the tank. Dry scape and fill water as you go. It's inevitable that you'll have to dig that bottom rock up during aquascape but a few pieces here and there is still better than trying to do aquascape with a tank full of water.
Be quick. The longer you mess with the aquascape, the more you'll hate it after. Have a vision and come up with a plan. Be quick building it.

Hi. Any tips on aquascaping a tank with live rock? Red Sea Max 250 (66g) that I just acquired and I have the live rock in a large tub with powerheads and a heater
Should I try to aquascape the tank half full (To keep the live rock wet?
Envision the tank with corals. There may be some die off and some cycling. Add the sand after the rock if adding sand.

Tips and Tricks on Creating Amazing Aquascapes - Aquascaping Forum - Nano-Reef Community

I found this to be really helpful so far as the artistic side of the aquascape.
Definitely give mind to your 8ntent with corals.
Allow for cleaning glass, and flow.
Keep things solidly in place.
Lay eggcrate on the bottom, directly on the glass. Add sand to the top of the eggcrate. Then your base rocks. Then the rest of your sand. That, imo, give you the most solid, stable, base and disperses the weight nicely.

Have fun! Its on of my favorite parts!

Attachments

• 20200514_131541.jpg
    20200514_131541.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 442
Thanks for sharing! I can use all the help I can get as I’m not artistic and trying to avoid a straight line of rocks stacked equally on top of each other, all while trying to keep the live rock...well alive!

Tips and Tricks on Creating Amazing Aquascapes - Aquascaping Forum - Nano-Reef Community

Lay eggcrate on the bottom, directly on the glass. Add sand to the top of the eggcrate. Then your base rocks. Then the rest of your sand. That, imo, give you the most solid, stable, base and disperses the weight nicely.

That is nice looking scape in a Biocube.

Last edited:

lOVING THAT AQUASCAPE A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING FOR FISH CORAL ETC...AWESOME.

Thanks for sharing! I can use all the help I can get as I’m not artistic and trying to avoid a straight line of rocks stacked equally on top of each other, all while trying to keep the live rock...well alive!
It can feel daunting but it can really become your favorite part of the build!!!
Enjoy it!!
I hope that link helps!!

Back