Aqueon (Central Aquatics)

Bobbofin

Non-member
My 250w Aqueon Pro heater gave up the ghost this fall. It was 1-1/2 years old, has lifetime warranty and costs $62.99. I called Unique Aquaria where I'm pretty sure I bought it but I could of bought it at Petco. I can't find the receipt from 1-1/2 years ago BUT it does have a lifetime warranty. Both Petco and Unique said I needed a receipt which I don't blame them for.
So I email Aqueon (Central Aquatics) and they tell me the same thing. I email them back that I can't find it BUT it has a lifetime warranty so can I just throw the heater in a bubble pak envelope and mail it to them as proof of purchase. They refused even though it has a supposed lifetime warranty.
It is obvious that they know that 75% of the people will not save or lose the receipt by the time the heater gives up the ghost as ALL heaters do after several years. Their "limited lifetime warranty" claim is nothing more than a marketing scheme.
I bought a cheap glass 200w heater for now locally and have it hooked up to a controller. When my leg is better and I'll be able to travel I'll stop in to see B at Unique for an Ebo Jager. Ebo-Jager have a 3 year warranty, I think. I'll save the receipt next time and not fall for a lifetime warranty marketing scheme!
I encourage everyone NOT to buy Aqueon products at all; tanks, heaters or filters from big box retailers like Petco. If you want a low price point item shop at your locally owned LFS and buy Deep Blue Professional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Title edited to comply with forum specific rules

John K BRS moderator

Call PetCo Corp and b**** hard. They will call a store manager to switch out the heater. The manager COULD have just switched it out with out the recpit. We took stuff back that we didn't even carry. If its listed in the computer they can take it back. And if they say no keep calling you can be give a GC as a unhappy custmer. Even stalk out the DM god knows he hates talking to anyone lol. He does vists the first and 3rd monday of the month. Or ask a lower employee they will tell you when he's coming if a store isn't doing well.

Never dealt with Aqueon always thought they were junk. Plus so you know some companies PAY PetCo/ PetSmart to push thier prodects. I was always asked y 1 prodect sold over another. Even if the "prodect " they wanted me to sell was cheaper. I sell what I use and smile and go back to work.

Back