Artificial anemone

dylan_maillet

Non-member
Are artificial anemones viable for clownfish. I don’t belive I’m ready/educated enough to keep a living one in my tank, but still want my clownfish to be happy! I have two fake ones in there right now and they won’t host in them. If I take one out, are the more likely to host in the other?

clownfish do not need a nem to be happy. 95% of the clowns we get now a days are captive bred and dont know they can host nems. also depending on the species of clown they might not even host a common bubble tip nem. say you have a ocellaris clown, in the wild they host a magnificent anemone. Im not saying you cant get them to host a bubble tip nem but just giving you all the info.

Definitely agree with @frank180reef . Toadstools are very hardy and good for younger reef tanks. My pair of clowns took very well to a toadstool until my tank became mature and I could introduce a anemone. That being said clown fish don’t need either and will probably end up hosting something irrelevant in your tank haha
6913051D-9ACA-45F0-AF05-577D6FE029E3.jpeg

Ive had the same clowns for a decade and tried 4 anemones, never came close to hosting the clowns. Im not saying dont try, just dont be surprised if it doesnt happen. Anemones are pretty hardy, pull the trigger and buy one if you see one you like. Youll be happy you did. They just need a decent light

I have rbtas and my clowns host my frogspawn. I agree that most don't actually host anything. It took 2.5 years before the clowns took to the frogspawn.

Back