Astrea snails dying

mark429

Non-member
So I have recently upgraded my tank and there for upgraded my clean up crew. My phosphates are below reading level, my nitrites are 0, my calcium and mag are at the proper levels, the only thing that is high are my nitrates. It is between 12.5 and 25 ppm. What I don't get is all my turbos, hermits, shrimp, stars, urchins, corals ( both SPS, Los and leathers ), and fish are doing fine. Does anybody know why just the astreas are dying?

Not enough food maybe?

My clean up crew is 1/4 of what it was...and they are keeping everything clean.

How big is the tank? How big is CUC? Maybe they are the first to starve due to lack of food. Probably not much algae for them I'm guessing.

It's a 75g, I moved all my LR over and thought it wold be enough, I guess it cold be food but what gets me is it has onl been a week since I have got them. I didn't think they could of eaten everything since then

O and my cuc was almost nothing, I now have about 10 hermits ( mixed kinds), 10 turbos, 1 bristle star, 1 queen conch, 5 nassarius snails, and a sand sifter star and there was 10 astreas, now there is only 5

My mag last time checked, was Tuesday was 1225 ppm, I try to keep it between 1200 and 1250. Should I keep it higher?

Any predators? So many things can happen to snails, hermits looking for a new shell, Wrasses looking for a snack, temp, salinity, also sometimes they cannot right themselves if they tip and die upside down. Your parameters look fine.

No wrasse in my tank, I haven't seen any hermits attacking them either. They do seem to just be falling to the sand and dying there

Back