ATO--Got wet, looking for ideas

newenglandreef

Non-member
Knowing that I'm an idiot already, I accidentally dipped my ATO in water. Unplugged it for the night to let it dry out, but now it's just stuck on the alarm, saying water level is too high (apparently, when the water level reaches the controller, it's considered too high. :) ) Is it dead, or can I crack it open and fix it? Any thoughts appreciated...

Put it in the sun (inside)for a few days and let it dry completely.What make/manufacturer is it?

Just looked at it online and looks like its mostly electronic soooo let it dry and keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks much, I stuck it in the sun. As I'm thinking more, I'd probably be even more stupid to try to rely on that ATO given that it's tough to rely on them to begin with when they're in normal working order.

I had one flood this Sunday in the short time I was using it, still can't tell what from--whether from the sensor or from a sump overflow in a different area of the sump, which is more likely. About 10 gallons of fresh water into the tank though, so I am scrambling to increase salinity without further stressing everything out. Tough week!

i agree with Foxy, try the bag of rice. Anytime that I've submerged an electronic device, I've always had good luck with putiing it in a bag of rice for a few days! Good Luck!

No brainer then, I'll try it. Much appreciated. I also emailed Tunze, who got back to me immediately with a personal message and some information. First, I don't think it was water damage, I think the unit is defective. The power connector is loose, so the power alternates from being on and off. But the rep did say that the sensor is magnetically controlled, so a ballast, powerhead or magnetic connector closeby can influence the sensor. Something to keep in mind. Also, did some research. The output hose has to be above the reservoir pump or you'll risk creating a siphon, fllooding the sump. Soom good info anyway. I think I'll end up shipping the ATO for them to look at, I pulled off the housing, there's no water damage at all, which is what I suspected, and it was bone dry.

Back