AWESOME Day before its gonna hit 90 lights were on all night

Owen386

Non-member
Hey fellow reefers,

Reminder to get those AC in or whatever/whoever you cool your tanks! gonna be 90+ all weekend

So I`m installing this 2 bulb retro kit I picked up yesterday into my canopy. All good went great! Tank looks awesome with the new bulbs in!
PROBLEM: Guess when moving around my 4-bulb t-5 fixture I slid the fixture back to far against the wall and made the timer stick on!

So I wake up this morning to the RKL alarm going OFF and look at my tank and instanly know what the problem is since my lights are still on ERRRRR!!!!
Could it have not been on anyother day when we are not going to hit 90! LOL

Just installed all the window ac to keep ambient temp down

If the temp does not get down below 79 when lights usually come on I think I`ll keep them off all day. '

Anyways just my little rant and reminder its gonna be hot the next couple of days and to remember to take any precautions you use when the weather is Hot!

Hey Owen, best thing to do is to plug all your lights into the RKL (if you haven't already:)) and tell it to go off if the temp alarm is triggered. I have mine set up so if it the temp goes over 78 degrees, my canopy and fuge fans turn on. If it keeps climbing and goes past 80, all my lights shut off until the temp comes down again.

It's absolutely freakin' awesome what these controllers can do!!! ;):p

Higor

One more thing. If you have a lot of temp issues, it's always good to keep a couple of frozen 2 litter coke bottles filled with water handy. In an emergency, you can always drop them in the tank to cool the water with out changing the water chemistry/salinity...

Last edited:
I need to find a replacement window AC that can be turned on and off by switching the power supply. Many of these digital window AC won't turn itself back on again when the power is cut.
My setting is as follow via a Profilux controller
78.0-nominal. Nothing turns on
>78.2-Fans turn on
>80.0-Window AC turns on
>81.0-MH shuts itself off leaving only T5 actinics running
My temp is already 79.0 after about 40mins of MH. It'll probably hit its threshold today.

Last edited:
I unplugged my heater and left my lights off today. Also left the windows open all night to get the rooms as cool as possible, then closed them and closed the blinds before leaving this morning. Hoping for the best in my 10g today. RKL arrives tomorrow, then all will be better!

I unplugged my heater and left my lights off today. Also left the windows open all night to get the rooms as cool as possible, then closed them and closed the blinds before leaving this morning. Hoping for the best in my 10g today. RKL arrives tomorrow, then all will be better!

So my 10g did great today despite the heat. Was still at 80 when I got home (I keep it between 79-80) and it was only 82 inside. Not bad for closed windows all day! Can't wait until my RKL gets here :)

How did everyone else's tank do today?

Left lights off all day installed the ac and happy to say tank is at 78.5

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I had 3 window AC running for the past few days.
Temp. in the house before the ACs was 86 deg.
After 72 deg.

I'm sure my electric meter was spinning like a fan as well.lol

my system hit 80F today, basement is cool and dry.

Thank God for Central AC... Keep the place at 72 the whole time. Tank sometimes gets a little past 78.

Higor

The great thing about this hobby is that it requires that I run AC in the room where my reef lives (and I sleep). I hate to use that extra electricity, but IME it's pretty mandatory if you are serious about your tank.

My tank hit 78.9. I sleep comfortable :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. It is what it is. Worst loss was a 35+ head kryptonite hammer I grew from 5 small heads. Basically lost all of my euphylias except torch. Some of my SPS. All my fish survived which is good. I would have been PO'd if my blonde naso croaked.

Last edited:
Back