Baby Bangai Pics

JustDavidP

Non-member
What a pain in the :eek: they've already been. It took me hours to fish them out of the sump chambers and get them back into the fuge. I've plugged the overflows in the fuge with filter floss. The water flows fine, but no fish can get out. I'm replacing the floss with wedding veil today (Thanks Jeff!)

Here ya go.... The babies:

Attachments

• BBC.jpg
    BBC.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 267
  • BBC1.jpg
    BBC1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 228
  • BBC10.jpg
    BBC10.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 216
  • BBC11.jpg
    BBC11.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 212
  • BBC12.jpg
    BBC12.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 221
More....

Attachments

• BBC13.jpg
    BBC13.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 194
  • BBC14.jpg
    BBC14.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 177
  • BBC2.jpg
    BBC2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 170
  • BBC3.jpg
    BBC3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 170
  • BBC5.jpg
    BBC5.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 170
Last...

Inclusive of their "Fast Food" stop... They are all eating baby brine, but most are already eating cyclopeeze!

Dave

Attachments

• BBC6.jpg
    BBC6.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 186
  • BBC7.jpg
    BBC7.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 179
  • BBC8.jpg
    BBC8.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 174
  • hatchery.jpg
    hatchery.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 182
Thanks Daire..

They've had a helluva life thus far. Much like a trip to Disney. Up and down sump chambers, fighting against pumps etc. Lets hope that the majority make it to a ripe ol' age!

Dave

Nate,

Some of them were spat out mid morning on Saturday (as per Doug's prediction... as soon as the sump lights shut off. I didn't notice the fry until my son pointed them out, being shot out of the return hose. Those poor guys/gals didn't make it. They became fish food. The rest were spat out on Sunday morning, when again, the fuge lights went out.

I saw at least 6 get killed via the Mag7 before I put a filter bag over the intake. I counted at least 22 in the fuge and other sections of the sump. I've not caught them all to put them in the fuge. I'm guessing I have between 18 and 24. I've not found one dead in the fuge yet. This is a good sign.

I did lose the brine shrimp culture on Saturday (air line fell out sometime overnight and water got stanky! Not enough life in it to worry...I restarted the culture). They are eating them and cyclopeeze!

I hope they all grow up to be fat and happy like me.

Dave

Fishing bait... :D

Okay...kidding. A pair goes to Gustavo...just for putting up with me. Then one or two are for Val... Valexia. The rest go for trade/sale, or gifts to those other folks who put up with my constant calls for help and advice.

Dave

I've got caulerpa serrata, caulerpa prolifera (the one that most people see first), and chaetomorpha linum. The prolifera, with the long leaves is beautiful and my tang loves it.

I also have remnants of caulerpa racemosa (Grape) but I yank it when I find it.

Waoo, they really look good. I will buy a pair from you when they grow up.

Here's the fix that I did for my fuge. The babies were getting out of the 1/4 inch holes drilled for the fuge overflow. Jeff gave me the veil, I had eggcrate left over from my skimmer shelf. I now get better flow from the fuge to the rest of the sump, but will no longer make chop-suey out of the babies.

47b4cf05b3127cce9cea804e0fe800000006108DcuHDZi10

BTW... I'm down to just a dozen or so babies. Long story, but here's some highlights/lowlights:

Guestimated 24-30 original fry released (couldn't see through all the macro).
At least a dozen +/- fell victim to the Skimmer pump (Sedra) and the Mag 7 return pump before I fixed the overflow problem. A large (were talking monster 2" across), hidden aiptasia took at least one (saw the poor baby in it's gastrovascular/body cavity) probably more. That aiptasia spent the night in my backyard, under the stars and in the 30 degree temps ;) A count was taken again last night. The lil squirts do NOT stop moving, but my best guess was a dozen.

Dave

That is a good size batch. If possible try to keep that dad seperate for a while to stop another batch. He needs a while to fatten up again. If you can raise more than 50% of the fry, you are doing well. We raised our first batch in a hang on the tank fuge, it is pain keeping them where you want them. Ours are breeding in the main tank now and we are finding fry in the overflows and in the fuge after a 12 foot trip through the plumbing.

Paul,

Dad was trying to either a) prey upon the fry, or b) herd them back into his mouth so I had to remove him. He's back in the display tank and is eating like a trooper. I'm in the process of setting up another Q-tank (original quarantine tank is now a holding tank for baby goldfish/koi) and will put him in there if need be. Chances are, he'll be eggbound again before that happenes, but I'll be ready for the entire cycle, eggs, to fry, to re-coop for dad after that batch. There's no way I can get him into suitable digs until December.

Thanks to you, Doug, & Howman for setting me up with a breeding pair, and everyone else who is constantly providing me with information during all of this. I know that bangai births are "old news" to some, but I'm thinking I may just keep at it once I get it down. We need more tank raised fish floating...er..check that...swimming around.

Dave

Back