Bacteria Bank - Club Service?

NeverlosT

Engineer with a reefing problem
BRS Member
Hey gang,

I have a tub of rock cooking along and will undoubtedly seed with some bacteria in a bottle and some decomposing mussels or whatever, BUT I was thinking. Wouldn't it be cool and groovy if willing members of BRS could all house a bit of Marinepure spheres or other media in their sumps (maybe I could coordinate a group buy or something) and then when a new person starts up, they could ping the group and see who is closest with media to boost their biological filter and jumpstart their cycle/tank.

It could also be great for folks who do that bacteria test and determine that their tank is woefully inadequate, go through the 5 stages of grief, and then decide to take control and get better, maybe they could reach out to the squad and ask for a few pieces of media to change their biome?

A 5G bucket of MarinePure Spheres is available, maybe if we do an in-person meeting soon we could dish out some to willing members?

(in the meantime, anyone have some sump rubble that they want to hook a guy up with in RI?)

whatsayyou.jpg

Some people might worry about transferring pests this way. (Not me.) Dipping the spheres would likely be fine for bacteria right?

Some people might worry about transferring pests this way. (Not me.) Dipping the spheres would likely be fine for bacteria right?

I could see maybe ich vermetids or aptasia concerns.

But flatworms either need light or sps, other coral parasites too.

I guess it would be “at your own risk”?

I know i would want a look at where media came from.

I feel like on the spheres vermetids or aptasia would be evident?

Definitely good discussion.

If we can get 5 or 6 people i can help us get a bucket of media for cheap.

I'd be willing and will see if I haves spheres laying around

Cool idea for sure. I'd be willing to have a few in my sump available for members. Usually the end product of the display tank would speak for itself, but the spheres would rule out most hitchhikers

i had spheres in my IM 10G cube the media really broke down in a year or so. I did hear the polyp lab media blocks are pretty good though.

I'll check availability of the polyplab stuff.

In the meantime I might go to the ocean this afternoon and grab some mussels, crush them up and toss them in. Can anyone think of a reason not to do that?

The water in the rock tub is already pretty gnarly, I might throw a skimmer in there just to watch it go wild.

I have a ton if Siporax...used mainly in fresh water I believe....in my AIO. Works great, no breakdown and no elevated AL. Cheaper than Marinepur too

Still have that going here in Hudson NH
Just ask if you want live rock its pound for pound of same Marco rock . Also have rubble and sand .

Back