Bangaii Cardinal

DamonB

Non-member
I purchased a bangaii cardinal last Friday from love the reef and i haven't seen him eat yet. I've fed Mysis and flakes without a nibble, he just floats in the bottom corner of my tank staring out. Is this normal?

Mine are most active in the evening. I usually feed then as to they are alleged nocturnal feeders

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

i believe wild caught can take a bit longer to eat. mine took about 3 weeks.
btw: any bangaii iv'e ever kept never ate flakes.. just the meat. try some live brine may get it started.

I had a pair of cardinals, and the male did not eat for 2 weeks. Female went to mysis immediately. I eventually got them on flake and pellets. I was freaking out after a week. Eventually the male began to eat. I didn't think a fish could go that long without eating. Now I manually feed them only 1 time a week. Been doing that for almost a year now.

rich

Forget flakes as they are not a good food for anything. Mysis are much better but you should feed bangai's something more meaty like clams. They grow a little over 3" long unfortunately their lifespan is about 3 years which isn't much for a fish that size.

Yes. And some point the male puts the babies in his mouth. At that point, he doesn't eat for 3 weeks, so it seems. He would just swim thru the food and torture himself...

Back