big fat metal halide bulb

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
What is the difference between those fat halide bulbs and those cylinder shape ones we are currently using?

No, it looks like sodium bulb but said metal halide on it. I have one which is made by Phillips and is a NOS bulb. I want to make sure what it is before I fire it up to prevent damage to the ballast. Thanks

I'm looking for them on a few lighting websites and can't find them...where did you come across them.

it looks like that but it is 175w and supposely a 14K bulb. I will check the part number.

Thanks, Jeff.
It definitly a MH bulb. Phllips 175w/U metal halide printed on the bulb.

build or buy

i have a question is it the same if you build your own halide kit or buy one I was told buy some that i can just go to home depot and buy my supplies from them and its a lot cheaper but is it the reef safe i saw two dif. wat. metal halide bulbs a 175 and a 250 the box read hetal halide.

If it is that bulb is it possible you miss took the light output of 14,700 for color temperature which is 4000k

The bulb is not from Homedepot. It just has the fat shape.

It is amazing that they can sell this for $16.99 but the ones we use are $100.00. There really can’t be that much difference in the cost of manufacturing. They get you right by the “made for hobby use” don’t they.

I think they make a lot more of 4000K than 10K.

What happen if you mix a 175w 4000K with a 175w 20K, will you get the effect of 2x175w of 10K?

Back